Sunday, September 12, 2021

2021 Fall Trip - Day 20 - 9/12/2021

Sunday, Sept. 12, 2021 - Driving back into the U.S.A. today. Hike back down from Skoki Lodge (12.13 miles in 4 hours 54 minutes), then drive down through the Canadian Rockies to Travelodge Blairmore in Blairmore, Alberta (202 miles):

The rising sun was setting the sky ablaze:
Blasting through Southern Alberta:
"Tiny House" For Sale, anyone? Great Views!

Five years ago, in 2016, I was on the highway (AB-2 S) coming down from Calgary back into the U.S.A., and I saw the mountains in the distance:
and I thought "Hum, I bet there is a road between here-and-there, that goes south MUCH CLOSER to the mountains."

So I was able to discover a road 20 miles closer, and planned this section of the trip around that:
I was able to visit Waterton Lakes National Park, the Canadian part of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. To quote wikipedia: "The Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park is the union of Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada and Glacier National Park in the United States. Both parks are declared Biosphere Reserves by UNESCO and their union as a World Heritage Site.":
The Border Station at Chief Mountain was closed:
So I made my way over to the "regular" Border Station Piegan Port of Entry (just north of Babb, Montana):
Time for the Last-Big-Stress-Point on this journey. Although Canada had opened its Border to tourists back on August 9, the US had said it would wait until August 22. In mid-August, the US changed its mind and pushed its "tourist visiting" date back to September 22. It turns out that I should be fine because, although I am a "tourist" while visiting Canada, I am a "returning Citizen" for the US, and there are no restrictions on "returning Citizens". I hope.

IT WORKED GREAT! The officer saw where I was from, and said "You're not driving ALL THE WAY BACK TO MASSACHUSETTS, are you?" I said "Sure, it's a Road-Trip!", and he said "I couldn't do that." And then he waved me through!!!!

Back in the U.S.A.
2 hours later I stopped at Trex Agate Shop in Bynum, Montana for a house present:
2 hours after that, I was weaving through storms on either side of me:
I checked into the Super 8 in Big Timber, Montana at 7:13 PM:
Thank you GOD for a great driving-day, and for getting me Back in the U.S.A. safe and sound!

Music for today:

Billy Idol - Greatest Hits (Billy Idol), 2001 greatest hits album

Hey, this album is A LOT OF FUN!

Billy Joel - The Complete Hits Collection: 1973-1997 [Disc 4]

interesting cd, with Billy talking with a group about a few songs, then doing the songs just him on the piano, then a full-blown-band live version from somewhere.

Blue Öyster Cult - The Essential Blue Oyster Cult (2 songs), 2012

"(Don't Fear) The Reaper" and "Burnin' For You"

Bob Dylan & The Rolling Thunder Review - Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue (2 cds), recorded 1975, released 2002


Bob Dylan/The Band - Before the Flood (2 cds), 1974 live double album


Bob Marley - Legend, 1984 compliation album


Boz Scaggs - Boz Scaggs, 1969

With Duane Allman on lead guitar, the 12-minute-30-second "Loan Me A Dime" is a masterpiece!

Bright Eyes - Motion Sickness [Live], 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment