Sunday, September 5, 2021

2021 Fall Trip - Day 13 - 9/5/2021

Sunday, Sept. 5, 2021 - Hiking at Revelstoke Mountain Resort:
Pretty cool only having to drive 15 minutes for today's hiking!

I got to start today with Trinity North Shore and their on-line service. It included seeing my wonderful wife blessing a family on their new adventures:

It's a beautiful day in Revelstoke - as you can see, I'm near a well-known Canadian cultural icon:

The parking area was pretty full:
and they had 4 people working selling tickets to hikers, mountain bikers, and people who just wanted to ride the gondola up-and-down:
Pretty cool vibe with everybody doing this "outdoors thing":
There was no line, so I hopped on my single-person gondola (keeping my mask on the whole ride):
You switch gondolas at mid-station, and continue up. At the top I was able to watch a mountain biker start his (?her) adventure:
The hikes I wanted to do: Stoke Climb, Subpeak Loop, and maybe Greely Trail:
It turns out that Greely Trail is closed, so that makes life easier for me. Well, "easier" in the sense of "less choices to make", not, like, "easier hiking".

So I started up Stoke Climb at 12:25
After the woods, you get occasional views:
I really like the cloud cover - it keeps me from getting hot.

Um, and then the views start:
So, this trail is great - one reason is because it is graded nicely, and goes back-and-forth to gain elevation. I'm just wondering where ther trail would have been put if this was back in the Adirondacks?:

I reached the top of Stoke Climb after 2 hours, and was ready to do Subpeak Loop - Mackenzie Ridge was not on my radar-screen
So I headed up the trail. It turns out that Subpeak Loop branches off fairly-quickly to the left, but I just didn't notice it, and kept on going straight - which turned out to be PRETTY COOL:
I reached the end, high up on a ridge, and got a great panorama view down the back-side:
Turning around and looking down Revelstoke Valley isn't too bad either:
It turns out that I had hiked Mackenzie Ridge, which obviously was GREAT!

Back down at the trail-intersections, I started left for the Subpeak Loop, going clockwise. It was FUN seeing the hang-gliders:
and farther along I was able to look back and see them "do their thing":

Subpeak Loop is a more-difficult hike, but only in that instead of striding on a path, you are going uphill (like stairs). But you sure gain a lot of altitude:
Another view down the back-side:
I call this "The Keeper Shot":

Yes, you have to be careful up here:
but on a beautiful day the views are GREAT:
The gondola back down stops running at 6 PM, but I was in it at 5:47

EXCELLENT HIKE - 11.86 miles in 5 hours 21 minutes:

WOW - Thank You GOD for all these Beautiful Adventure Days!

Music for today:

Bruce Springsteen - Missing [Single], 1996


Then, because I'm in CANADA, 2 albums by Bruce Cockburn and 4 by Neil Young:

Slice O Life - Live Solo, 2014


Small Source Of Comfort, 2011


Live At Massey Hall 1971, recorded 1971, released 2007


On the Beach, 1974


Hawks and Doves, 1980


The Bottom Line - NYC, May 1974, 1974 live album


No comments:

Post a Comment