Sunday, September 30, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 37 - visit Texas Museums

Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018 - visit Texas Museums = 563 miles driving:


Left the Ranch/road at 8:10



Arrived at the "Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum" in Waco, Texas at 11 AM:



Um, I don't know what I was expecting, but they have A LOT OF GUNS:





Two hours later I was down at the Blanton Museum of Art at the University of Texas in Austin:



The beauties they had on display include:


Albert Bierstadt - "Indian Canoe", circa 1886:

Thomas Moran - "The Golden Hour", 1875:

Alfred Jacob Miller - "Wind River Mountain Range Scene", circa 1858-74


The display spaces are very nice:

but I am definitely worried about some of the art:

Jo Baer - "Horizontals Tiered", 1966

I don't care what they write - "At first glance, Horizontals Tiered may appear as two empty canvases. But as she wrote ..."

They ACTUALLY ARE TWO EMPTY CANVASES!!!!

I continued south on I-35 down to San Antonio:




Albert Bierstadt - "Passing Storm over the Sierra Nevadas", 1870:

Asher B. Durand - "Haystack Mountain, Vermont", 1852



I had a nice walk around the River Walk:




and saw The Alamo on my way out of town:


On I-10 East the weather threatened:

It Rained, but then we got the rainbows:





Checked into Humble, Texas a little after 8 PM:


Thank you God for ART and ALL THESE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES!

Driving Music:

Lyle Lovett - I Love Everybody, 1994


William Gibson - Count Zero (Chapters 1 through 5), 1986 (his second book)


"In Heathrow, a vast chunk of memory detached itself from a blank bowl of airport sky and fell on him."

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live At Montreux 1982 & 1985 (2 cds), 1982/1985


Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Greatest Hits (Stevie Ray Vaughan), 2001


lyrics: "Texas Flood"

Well there's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Well there's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
And I've been tryin' to call my baby
Lord and I can't get a single sound

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - The Real Deal: Greatest Hits Vol. 2, 1999


Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - The Sky Is Crying, 1991


Bob Dylan - Infidels, 1983


No comments:

Post a Comment