Saturday, September 29, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 36 - drive through Texas

Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018 - drive through Texas = 332 miles driving:


I forgot to mention in yesterday's blog that the Super 8 in Fort Stockton, Texas HAS A POOL:


Now on to the New Day:


Of Course, what shape would the Super 8 in Texas use for its waffles???


I'm sorry - this is a 2-lane blacktop road. If you're going to make the Speed Limit = 75, why have any speed limit at all?:


Wait - have I been on this road before?



Crossed over the Pecos River:



The wildflowers alongside the highway sure are pretty:


Up in Abilene, I got a car wash, supporting "Kairos Prison Ministry":

The Car LOOKED GREAT!!



I went to The Grace Museum in Abilene, but none of their Permanent Collection was on display. I continued northeast, past Hundreds of Wind Turbines:


just out there, spinning away.

I then made it up to The Old Jail Art Center in Albany, Texas:


There was some miscellaneous modern art in The Jail, but then I saw paintings in the Permanent Collection!

Amedeo Modigliani - "Young Girl with Braids", 1918

Pierre-Auguste Renoir - "Nu Couche, vu de dos (Reclining Nude from Back)", c. 1893

Pierre-Auguste Renoir - "Woman with Hat", 1896

Thomas Hart Benton - "Fire in the Barnyard", 1944 lithograph

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting THAT!

As I left Albany, Texas, there was a couple of good old boys playing guitars on a flat-bed:


It was getting hot on my way to Peter and Mary's Ranch::

My joy in a clean car was short-lived - that's Peter's car I'm following on County Road 484:

Made it to the Ranch by 4:30

It was great seeing family (who are also friends!):

Peter took me on a nice walk (2/3 mile), to the pond, and around some of the land:

Watch Out for the Prickly Pear cactus!!!

As Peter said - "Watch Out - EVERYTHING out here wants to prick, poke or stab you."

Nice View from the Back Porch:
/a>
and a Beautiful View at sunset:


Thank you God for ALL THESE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES! and for the Family and Friends that I can share them with!

and Hey, I kept on-track today - I didn't even stop at "Meteor Crater" in Odessa, Texas:


Blogging Music:

Cyrus Chestnut - The Dark Before the Dawn, 1995


Driving Music:

various artists - Billboard Top Rock 'n' Roll Hits - 1964, 1964

"Last Kiss" by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers is actually the first song I ever remember hearing:

I'll never forget the sound that night
The screamin' tires, the bustin' glass
The painful scream that I heard last.

Also, It is Pretty Cool driving 75 mph on FM 1053 North listening to "Leader of the Pack".

various artists - Billboard Top Pop Hits: 1967, 1967

Don't worry - you'll get the lyrics to "Ode to Billie Joe" in another couple of days.

various artists - Billboard Top Hits 1982, 1982


and then since WE ARE IN TEXAS:

ZZ Top - Rancho Texicano: The Very Best Of ZZ Top, 2004


including such songs as "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide", which seems appropriate for a guy on a cross-country trip!

various artists - A Taste Of Texas Music Vol. 1, 2008


The Electric Flag - Old Glory: The Best of Electric Flag, 1967


lyrics: "Texas"

I just got in from Texas babe
You didn't even know I was around
I just got in from Texas baby
You didn't even know I was around no no
And when you saw me on the streets woman
You looked at me like I was a Ringling Brothers clown yes you did ha

then, because he has a western tie on the cover,

Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love, 1987


lyrics: "Cautious Man"

He got dressed in the moonlight and down to the highway he strode
When he got there he didn't find nothing but road

No comments:

Post a Comment