Monday, October 1, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 38 - lunch in New Orleans

Monday, Oct. 1, 2018 - lunch in New Orleans = 533 miles driving:


Left early and crossed into Louisiana at 9 AM:


There is a lot of water-level driving down here in Louisiana:



Fun crossing over the Mississippi River:

I have been on the west-side of the River for 32 days. I guess it's time to come back east.

Headed down on I-10 East:


Lake Pontchartrain is VAST and unending:

I have this urgent sense that if the water rose 10 feet, the whole southern-half of the State of Louisiana would be UNDER WATER.

I had Gumbo at a fun lunch in New Orleans with niece Bentley:


New Orleans is a real "Big City":





I then got out of town - northeast on I-10, high above Lake Pontchartrain:

And then "low above Lake Pontchartrain"


Crossed into Mississippi about 4 PM:


Checked into Laurel, Mississippi at 5:20


Thank you God for Family, Friends, and ALL THESE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES!

Blogging Music:

Van Morrison - Inarticulate Speech of the Heart, 1983


Driving Music:

Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now, 1974 live double album


The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n Roll, 1974


lyrics: "Till the Next Goodbye":

You give me a cure all from New Orleans
Now that's a recipe I sure do need
Some cider vinegar and some elderberry wine
May cure all your ills, but it can't cure mine
Your Lou'siana recipes have let me down
Your Lou'siana recipes have surely let me down

Maybe now is a good time to discuss Stones-vs-Beatles. It has turned out that (generally) I like listening to the Stones while driving, but the Beatles come into my head while hiking. Maybe the guitar-driven rock of the Stones is more appropriate when I'm rockin down the highway, while the Beatles' pace/lyrics/sound is more appropriate for footsteps. Oh well, it seems to work out GREAT!

Jimmy Buffett - Beach House on the Moon, 1999

with its song: "I Will Play for Gumbo"

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus, 1978 double live album


lyrics: "Dixie Chicken"

I've seen the bright lights of Memphis

lyrics: "Willin'"

And I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads
So I wouldn't get weighed

Fats Domino - My Blue Heaven, 1990 Greatest Hits collection

Because I was in New Orleans, I listened to this twice.

and then once I got up into Mississippi:
North Mississippi Allstars - Hill Country Revue: Live At Bonnaroo, 2004 great live recording


No comments:

Post a Comment