Friday, September 7, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 14 - Day 3/3 Wind River Range

Friday, Sept. 7, 2018 - Day 3/3 in the Wind River Range + 132 miles driving.

Because of my "low power" issues (a subtle hint from God?), I felt it was best to abandon my grandiose plans to hike a big loop, exploring the area up over Lester Pass (I'm a little shy right now of anything with the word "Pass" in it). But since I don't just want to hike right back to the trailhead (how much fun is that?), let's do "a little side-trip" up to Lost Lake!:

which I also like to see in Google Earth:



Although there was a "hike up" to get over a ridge, there was actually quite a long descent to get down to the Lake:

Unfortunately, that also means there is quite a long ASCENT to get back to the main trail!

My only morning photo is when I first saw Lost Lake just after 8 AM:


The hike in to the Lake took an hour and a half. It is a beautiful lake surrounded by pine forest and a great mountain ridge - very glad I did this "side-trip"!

An hour and twenty minutes to get back to the main trail, where I picked up my big backpack and headed toward the trailhead at Elkhart Park. Combining the data from today's MapMyWalk with the data going up on Wednesday, I figure today's hike was 16.1 miles; I finished at 3 PM, so it was a little less than 8 hours. I kept trading places with a few hikers coming down, and we all smiled when we saw each other in the parking lot. I took note of license plates from 16 states - quite a collection! I started my car (to charge the iPhone), saved my MapMyWalk, and head down the road.

I was able to see Fremont Lake:

But I'm a little worried about "leaves changing color":


It was fun seeing Pronghorn Antelope:


Back down at the Wind River Brewery in Pinedale, because I was singing it on my hike down, I had a "Cheeseburger in Paradise":


"I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes"

I then drove 100 miles down to Rock Springs, Wyoming:



and checked into the Super 8 at 7 PM:


Thank you God for these Beautiful Places, and for giving me the body that allows me to get out and explore!

Driving Music was:

(of course, because I had it in my head):

Jimmy Buffett - Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, 1999 live album


Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club, 1993 first album


No comments:

Post a Comment