Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 11 - Exploring Wyoming

Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2018 - Exploring Wyoming - 454 miles driving:



Since I wanted to be down in Pinedale by 6 PM, I started early. It was 56℉ at 7:22 AM. It's a beautiful day up in the Southern Part of the Bighorn National Forest:


My first stop was Deer Park Campground, in order to hike to Tensleep Falls. It was a nice day to be driving on a dirt road:



Google Maps shows the 1.8 miles round-trip hike (start upper-right, go down to lower-left):

Lovely hiking trail:

Beautiful Day to see a Beautiful Waterfall:

and turn around to see Middle Tensleep Creek heading off into the forest:

It was an easy walk back to the car:

7.4 miles back down from trailhead/long-term parking to Hwy 16, a deer crossed ahead of me.

Hiking Wyoming's Bighorn Mountains (Falcon Guides) is my source for these adventures:


Say goodbye to the cliffs as I leave the Bighorns:


I have to remember to have more Happy-Meal lunches:


It was VERY COOL driving through the Wind River Canyon:

By 3 PM I was up at Bull Lake:



Since it is right on the highway I'm driving on (Hwy 28), I stopped at the Red Canyon Scenic Overlook:


Checked into the Gannett Peak Lodge (Pinedale, Wyoming) at 6 PM:


Excellent steak dinner (plus 2 large glasses of milk) at the Wind River Brewery. Thank you God for this Great Country, and for the ability to get out and experience it!

quiet music in the morning for blogging:

the Grateful Dead - Hundred Year Hall, 1995 double-album release of 1972 concert


driving Music - back to basic rock 'n roll:

hey, the Dead sounded so good, I listened to the whole album on the road!

It was Pretty Cool pulling out of Sheridan, Wyoming listening to the Grateful Dead!

lyrics: "Jack Straw":

Leavin' Texas, fourth day of July,
Sun so hot, the clouds so low, the eagles filled the sky.
Catch the Detroit Lightnin' out of Sante Fe,
The Great Northern out of Cheyenne, from sea to shining sea.

William Gibson - Neuromancer (Chapters 2 and 3), 1984 (his first book)


resume the Grateful Dead:

lyrics: "Truckin'":

Truckin' up to Buffalo
Been thinking you got to mellow slow
Takes time, you pick a place to go
Just keep truckin' on

I was in Buffalo just this morning:

although I don't think Buffalo, Wyoming was the "Buffalo" they meant.

Graham Parker and The Rumour - Howlin' Wind, 1976 first album


No comments:

Post a Comment