Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 12 - Day 1/3 Wind River Range (republished)

Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2018 - Day 1/3 in the Wind River Range - 15 miles driving:


then 15.6 miles hiking to Island Lake:

which I also like to see in Google Earth:

especially the last part:

(what's all that white stuff?)

I did 2 hikes last year in the Wind River Range - Cirque of the Towers at the south end, and the Green River area at the north end. This year I wanted to see Titcomb Basin in the middle area. This past winter I read Sky's Witness: A Year In The Wind River Range by C.L. Rawlins (1994):

which is a wonderful account of a Forest Service worker's "year in the Wind River Range". I had a great time following along with my big trail map of the Winds, and highlighted areas I want to see. I was not able to "do it all" this trip, but hopefully (prayerfully), there's the future.

Lovely drive up to the trailhead:

There is a cool sign which names the peaks:

I'm hoping to do Indian Pass at 12,130 feet:



I reached Elkhart Park (the Pole Creek trailhead) just before 11 AM. It is the same beautiful hike Wendy and I did (for a little while) two years ago:

Interestingly, this hike, although long, does not gain very much elevation:

It starts at 9377 feet, and finishes at 10596 feet, for a gain of only 1219 feet. The killer is that there are a lot of ups-and-downs, so my sense of progress is stymied - just when you think it is a nice "walk in the woods", up-and-down you go!

It is 5 miles up to "Photographers Point", where I took a nice panorama:

"Photographers Point" is a real destination. It is a good place to stop and have a bite to eat, if you are heading up; but, at 5 miles in, it is also really good day hike (and the trailhead is only 30 minutes from downtown Pinedale):



20 minutes later I'm hiking across a lovely open area:


then back into the land of Lakes and Mountains:






Is this my last uphill?:

At only 5:19 PM, I don't think so.

At 5:53 PM I crested a ridge and saw Island Lake, with Titcomb Basin in the distance:

turn a little to the right, and that notch is Indian Pass:

wow, it would have made a great panorama shot.

I hiked down and filled my water bottles (use the filtration bag!):

I made my way around the Lake and settled on a place for the night:

Not a bad view to say goodnight to:


Thank you God for these Beautiful Places, and for giving me the body that allows me to get out and explore!

only one album today:

John Mayer - Continuum, 2006


It was fun having "Gravity" and "Waiting on the World to Change" in my head while hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment