Monday, September 24, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 31 - drive through Wyoming

Monday, Sept. 24, 2018 - Wendy flies home, and I drive through Wyoming = 481 miles driving:


Woke up to a FUN SURPRISE in Scott's backyard:


Just out having a little breakfast.

After having an easy morning, we said Goodbye, and headed out to do some errands. I dropped Wendy off at the Jackson Airport at 11:30 (see you in 11 days!), and I poked around the Visitor Center for a few minutes:


I cannot leave this area without saying Goodbye to both the Snake River:

and the ICONIC TETONS:




I made it up over Togwotee Pass:


and the Continental Divide:


I then discovered the Wind River Lake Picnic Area (in the ShoShone National Forest):

It is a BEAUTIFUL little area, right by the Highway:



I really like driving on US-26 E, which crosses and recrosses the Wind River:






Hey, not all the cars and trucks I see out here are on the highway:


(um, is this an "off-road vehicle"?)

Sure is beautiful out here in Central Wyoming:





Since I have seen a map in an art book, my plan was to "follow Alfred Jacob Miller's path" when he traveled to Wyoming in 1837 with Sir William Drummond Stewart (from Scotland):

(to give you an idea of my planning process, I did this map Feb 16, 2018)

As things worked out, the Fort Laramie Visitor Center is tomorrow, and I never did find Independence Rock State Historic Site. But I did get to Split Rock:


and Devil's Gate:




A late drive, checking into the Super 8 in Wheatland, Wyoming at 9:30 PM:

WOW - Thank you God for ALL THESE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES!

I've had requests FOR MAPS, so here is my "Travels With Wendy":

and here is the remainder of my trip:


Driving Music:

Paul Simon - Songwriter, 2011 double album

This is a wonderful collection - regular hits plus live acoustic versions. Disc 2, although starting out with 4 "songs I know", then has 11 songs from 4 more-recent albums that I'm not familiar with, so it is a great "sampler".

Lyrics - "Peace Like a River":

Misinformation followed us like a plague
Nobody knew from time to time
If the plans were changed
If the plans were changed.

Lyrics - "Hearts and Bones":

One and one-half wandering Jews
Free to wander wherever they choose
Are traveling together
In the Sangre de Christo
The Blood of Christ Mountains
Of New Mexico
On the last leg of a journey
They started a long time ago.
The arc of a love affair.
Rainbows in the high desert air
Mountain passes
Slipping into stone
Hearts and bones
Hearts and bones
Hearts and bones

Lyrics - "Graceland":

The Mississippi Delta was shining
Like a National guitar
I am following the river
Down the highway
Through the cradle of the civil war
I'm going to Graceland
Graceland
In Memphis, Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland
Poor boys and pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland

William Gibson - Neuromancer (Chapters 17-24, Afterward), 1984 (his first book)


Shawn Mullins - Soul's Core, 1998


Michael Franti & Spearhead - The Sound of Sunshine, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment