Thursday, September 27, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 34 - leave Colorado, south into New Mexico

Thursday, Sept. 27, 2018 - leave Colorado, head south into New Mexico = 589 miles driving:


The moon over the mountains as I left the parking lot in Leadville, Colorado:


It was COLD out on the road:


A nice shot of the Post Office in Nathrop, CO 81236:

Some people say there are "just too many people in Colorado these days":


I made a mistake, and in Salida I turned left onto 50 East. It wasn't a "bad mistake" because I drove right alongside the beautiful Arkansas River:





After 30 miles, I pulled into Barry's Den at Texas Creek Junction:

I got a cup of coffee, disposed of the trash I had picked up, and asked for directions. Turns out I had to go back to Salida and take a left. Well, I certainly had a Beautiful Drive!

Oh - you mean I'm supposed to be on THE OTHER SIDE of Those Mountains!


Of course I had to take a photo of the FUN SIGN:


"On The Road":


I got directions and advice at the Great Sand Dunes National Park:

and found my way to the road for Zapata Falls:


I had previously been here 2 years ago, but I didn't want to take the Fit up that road. I'm sure the Crosstrek will be fine.

After a careful 30-minute drive, I was at the trailhead:




It is a nice 1/2 mile hike to get up to the creek:

You then walk alongside the creek to get up into the Falls. THERE IS NO TRAIL - you walk in the water, or hop on the stones! Pretty Rustic!:




Kind of hard taking pictures in the dark canyon.

Better luck heading back out:


What An Adventure - Well Worth It!

Nice views from the trailhead area:



I then headed south, entering New Mexico at 3:30


It was getting warmer:


I was too late to visit the New Mexico Museum of Art in Santa Fe, but their Thomas Moran was "Not On View" anyway.

New Mexico looks rugged:


And checked into the Super 8 in Roswell at 8:50 PM


Thank you God for ALL THESE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES! and for the AUTOMOBILE to accomplish it!

Blogging Music:

(same) Bill Evans - Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of The Gate, 2014 double cd, recorded Oct 23, 1968


Driving Music:

Joe Jackson - Live 1980/86, 1988 double cd


various artists - Lipstick Hits, 2000


Bob Seger - Like a Rock, 1986


Bruce Springsteen - Chimes of Freedom, 1988 live 4-song EP

including an acoustic version of "Born To Run".

The highway's jammed with broken heroes
on a last chance power drive

Yes - Close To The Edge, 1972


Frank Sinatra - Classic Sinatra, 2000


Steve Miller Band - Children of the Future, 1968 first album


Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day, 2012 live album

The album won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Album

Jamie Cullum - Catching Tales, 2005


Bright Eyes - Cassadaga, 2007


No comments:

Post a Comment