Friday, September 28, 2018

Fall 2018, Day 35 - hike Guadalupe Mountains, Texas

Friday, Sept. 28, 2018 - drive down into Texas, and hike Guadalupe Peak = 330 miles driving:


The moon in the morning fog in Roswell, New Mexico:


Its getting warmer in the morning:


I knew I would have a long day, so I hit the road at 7. Because of an accident, I had to make a detour in southern New Mexico:



I had already seen Carlsbad Caverns National Park on my first cross-country trip in 1972, so I didn't go in, but it was right next to the highway, so a good "photo op":


Crossed into Texas at 9:40


Still in a desolate part of the country. I think I'm getting used to this.


Got to Guadalupe Mountains National Park a little after 10 AM:

I "lose an hour" because of Time Zone change when I enter Texas, so it is actually a little after 11 AM.

I had a Great Hike in the Texas Mountains! 9.4 miles in 3 hours 47 minutes:


I made REALLY GOOD time coming down!


I went up the Guadalupe Peak Trail:



Watch Out for the local plant life:


You gain A LOT OF ALTITUDE pretty fast:


The trail switches back-and-forth along the side of the mountain:

A nice view back down the trail, and across the valley:

You hike through some nice forest:

and then you are back out among scrub:

until you get to The Summit (which I had all to myself):



EXCELLENT Views from the top:





Coming down, there is a nice "dangerous" part of the trail - steps and a bridge by a chasm:



The car had warmed up when I finished my hike:


Pretty cool view when I headed into Texas:


On TX-54 South, looking South at 4:13 PM:

and, of course, looking North:


An hour later, heading up onto I-10 East:


Now why can't we have Speed Limits like this back East?


Checked into the Super 8 in Fort Stockton at 7 PM


Thank you God for ALL THESE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES! and for the AUTOMOBILE to accomplish it!

Blogging Music:

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans, 1959


Driving Music:

Counting Crows - Live from Syracuse, NY, 2018 live

Ok - I bought this because when I was at this concert, THE MUSIC SOUNDED CLEAN AND CLEAR. I am Very Happy to report that it sounds GREAT - can't wait to play it for Wendy!!

The Rolling Stones - Black and Blue, 1976


The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet, 1968


The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request, 1967

I played this twice. The second time was REAL LOUD!

and, of course, since I was in Texas, I ended the day by listening to some Buddy Holly:
"Rave On" and "Brown Eyed Handsome Man".

No comments:

Post a Comment