Wednesday, July 24, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 33-of-35 - July 24, 2024

Wednesday, July 24, 2024 - Um, 524 miles today (PLUS seeing Counting Crows and Santana!):

At least I was able to start the day replenishing my HEALTHY supplies (please note the bananas):

I think I'm answering my own question: Which road would you rather be on - I-70 (on the right) or Route 40 W on the left?

I'll get back on The Interstates someday, just not now.

I'm traveling through Western Pennsylvania - don't get me started:

I know I'm Heading Home, but I thought I had a couple of more days?

Cloudy, but a pretty nice day driving through Pennsylvania:

I know I'm heading to DuBois, but there's a Sermon in here somewhere:

Pretty nice driving through New York State at 4 PM:

After 400 miles, at 5:30 I checked into the Super 8 in Canandaigua, New York, where I took a quick shower:

BUT THE DAY IS NOT OVER YET! I have a ticket to Santana/Counting Crows tonight in Syracuse!

It was 7:17 as I walked through the parking lot:

At 7:30, on my way to my seat, the Crows were just starting!

A nice show (they played for over an hour), but I was told that if I wanted to stand, I had to do it out on the grass (behind a white line). So I did:

Ok - I was disappointed. Youngest daughter Ardath saw them in Portland, Maine 10 days earlier (without Santana), and they had played 18 songs (including "Recovering the Satellites") versus tonight's 13 songs - she had the Better Show:

Santana was ok, but I had seen him/them/his band 55 years ago - The Boston Tea Party, Saturday, Nov. 15, 1969. They were on a double-bill with Grand Funk Railroad. Grand Funk Railroad did one set, then Santana did a set, then GFR did their 2nd set, and Santana did their 2nd set. Pretty cool, once upon a time. Tonight Santana was loud and bombastic, with their ceaseless afro/latin beat, which is best taken in small doses. The 3rd or 4th song was beautiful - Carlos solo on his guitar:

I left at 10:30 - Everybody was having a Great Time:

An hour-and-20-minutes to get back to the Super 8 - 524 miles today. I don't know about the future about concerts for me ($203.40 for a ticket, plus $20 bill for parking), but I still get to say Thank you God for these wonderful "Road Trip" adventures!

Music today, starting with THE BANDS I'LL BE SEEING TONIGHT:

Counting Crows - Somewhere Under Wonderland, 2014 7th album, last heard 9/27/2023 - a lot of The Crows lyrics are geographical, but especially "Cover Up The Sun":

Colorado passes by like writing on a wall
Headed Eastward down to New Orleans
Dipping into Texas as the stars are fading out
But there’s still a lot of country in-between
When I left California, I was 29 years old
And the world just spun me ‘round
Now I just watch Louisiana
Scroll across the windowpane
And I face in the direction I am bound


Santana - Santana, 1969 debut album, last heard 9/30/2016 - what a great album!

Counting Crows - Hard Candy, 2002 4th album, last heard 6/30/2022 - I love this album:


Santana - Abraxas, 1970 2nd album, last heard 8/17/2018 - Excellent 2nd album:

Richie Havens - On Stage, 1972 double-live album, last heard 8/09/2017 - Lovely double-live album, ripped from the original album:

Side One:
"From The Prison" by Jerry Merrick
"Younger Men Get Older" by M. Roth, R. Havens
"Old Friends" by Paul Simon
"God Bless The Child" by A. Herzog, Jr., B. Holiday

Side Two:
"The Dolphins" by Fred Neil
"Nobody Knows" by A. Berman-M. Bergman*
"My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison
"No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed" by Richie Havens

Side Three:
"Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison
"Just Like A Woman" by Bob Dylan
"Teach Your Children" by Graham Nash
"Minstrel From Gault" by M. Roth, R. Havens

Side Four:
"High Flyin' Bird" by Billy Edd Wheeler
"San Francisco Bay Blues" by Jesse Fuller
"Where Have All The Flowers Gone" by Pete Seeger
"Rocky Raccoon" by J. Lennon-P. McCartney


Cream - Royal Albert Hall London May 2005, 2005 live-double album, last heard 8/14/2017 - wonderful live versions of their songs:


Billy Joe Shaver - Shaver - Unshaven: Live, 1995 live album, last heard 8/15/2017 - This guy never "hit it big", but he seems to have a lot of integrity:


Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees, 1976 album, last heard 8/15/2017 - I can still remember dancing to this album with Wendy in our NYC apartment - smile on my face:


Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners, 1971 debut solo album, last heard 8/16/2017:


Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swingin' Lovers, 1956 album, last heard 8/16/2017 - a great collection of 15 Very Good Songs:


various - Songs From Dawson's Creek, 1999 soundtrack album, last heard 8/16/2017 - a great collection of generally unfamiliar songs. Yea, I know, I should have listened to this when I went through Dawson Creek, British Columbia:


various - Songs From The Material World - A Tribute To George Harrison, 2003 multi-artist tribute album, last heard 8/16/2017 - the 3 songs I like are "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (performed by Todd Rundgren), "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" (performed by Dave Davies), and "Within You Without You" (performed by Big Head Todd and The Monsters):


The Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin', 1958 album, last heard 8/29/2018 - excellent 1950's jazz:


Past entries of this blog are available on the website https://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment