Wednesday, July 10, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 19-of-35 - July 10, 2024

Wednesday, July 10, 2024 - Well, I had budgeted ZERO miles for today, because How Many Miles can you rack up just driving around Bella Coola? It turns out you can rack up 150 MILES "just driving around Bella Coola" - and that is almost all on dusty dirt roads!

The morning light on my way back up to Stupendous Viewpoint:

Back up at Stupendous Viewpoint, the peaks are ablaze:

The Valley is a pretty cool place:

Just west of the town of Bella Coola, the valley opens up:

My first "Official Stop" was the Clayton Falls Recreation Area - Waterfall only 130 yards from parking:

I had planned on doing some hiking out here. I like AllTrails (I'm a subscriber), and their website can show you multiple hikes in an area:

It looks like the one I want is "M Gurr Lake Loop":

On Google Maps, I was able to locate "M Gurr Trailhead":

UNFORTUNATELY, Google Maps could not do directions from Bella Coola to The Trailhead:

I was annoyed because on AllTrails I saw "a road". I figured I would just poke around. Lo and behold, there is a dirt road "Clayton Forest Service Road", with its own Information Kiosk:

My philosophy on dealing with roads like this is 1) PATIENCE and 2) NO PRIDE. "PATIENCE" means "Take this road nice and slow"; "NO PRIDE" means that if/when "things get bad" (the pothole is just TOO DEEP), turn around and go back down. The road starts off nice, and then deteriorates:

I went up and over the ridge line (2 hours 20 minutes to get up there), took a picture, then turned around and parked on the ridge line:

Up that trail, it was only 0.1 miles round-trip to the summit-on-the-south-side-of-the-road:

Back down to the car, then up on the "M Gurr Lake Loop" a nice trail up, and then you get your first view of "M Gurr Lake":

The view off to the west is spectacular:

I knew I was "going left around the lake", so I went down on the right-side to get close:

View from the highest elevation:

I got about 80% around the lake, and decided to take "another trail" down to the left - I knew I would "hit the road", and it was a very-well-maintained trail:

Going down alongside a beautiful brook, I soon hit the road and walked back up to my car (2.17 miles in 1 hour 15 minutes):

An hour-and-1/2 to drive back down:

This is THE DAY I am out here - it is 3:15 in the afternoon, so I might as well keep exploring. I went 17 miles east, to the beginning of the "Nusatsum River Road" (yes, another dirt road) which goes up alongside the "Nusatsum River:

Nice scenery. Up at "Odegaard Pass" after an hour:

10 minutes later I was at the viewpoint for "Purgatory Glacier":

On my way back down I got a good look at "Odegaard Falls", plus Crosstrek's favorite selfie:

After many hours on many miles of dusty roads, I retired to Hipcamp, camping more-on-the-property (just above the Bella Coola River). The horses (Fire, Oreo, and Nova) are Very Friendly - I had to put lawn-chairs around my tent to keep them from knocking it over (such is the price of fame). Thank you God for these Great "British Columbia" Adventures!

Music today:

various - Sacred Treasures, 1998 album, last heard 9/29/2013 - excellent choral music, and lovely in the early-morning:

Bill Morrissey - Inside, 1992 4th album, last heard 2/25/2015 - beautiful music & lyrics. Bill was a master of both, and his pacing is perfect. Tears everytime:

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves, 2003 3rd album, last heard 2/25/2015 - very interesting: sounds like an undiscovered Neil Young album (which is funny because alphabetically on my iPod, "My Morning Jacket" appears right before "Neil Young"):


Q-Burns Abstract Message - Invisible Airline, 2001 album, last heard 2/25/2015 - house/trance music. I like them:

Bruce Springsteen - Magic, 2007 album, last heard 2/27/2015 - a good collection that starts off with the killer "Radio Nowhere" (PLAY IT LOUD):


Kenny Chesney - No Shoes No Shirt No Problems, 2002 6th album, last heard 2/28/2015. This might have been the first album I heard by Kenny Chesney - I thought "Hey, this is good; I wondering if he is playing anywhere locally?" I then found out that his concert at Gillette Stadium was already sold-out - talk about being "late to the party":


The BoDeans - The Best Of BoDeans: Slash And Burn, 2001 greatest hits album, last heard 3/03/2015:


Florida Georgia Line - Here's To The Good Times, 2012 debut album, last heard 3/08/2015 - fun stuff, best taken in small doses:


Ima Robot - Greenback Boogie - single, 2011 theme song, last heard 3/08/2015 - Wendy and I really enjoyed "Suits" (although the premise "guy gets hired under false pretense" does not wear well), but the Theme Song is Great:


various - Hard To Find 45s On CD [Volume 6], 2001 release of 1960's songs, last heard 3/09/2015:


Past entries of this blog are available on the website https://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment