Thursday, July 18, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 27-of-35 - July 18, 2024

Thursday, July 18, 2024 - 2nd day hiking in Glacier National Park. My "winter research" had me identify an EXCELLENT trail in Glacier for today - Hike the Highline Trail/The Garden Wall (from “Logan Pass Visitor Center”), 15.0 miles roundtrip, 7:53 time for hike, 4.9/5.0 rating

Unfortunately, I forgot to read THE SMALL-PRINT about "Park at Logan Pass Visitor Center". It turns out that in July and August, YOU CANNOT "Park at Logan Pass Visitor Center" - people waiting for open spaces are worse than at Market Basket!!
But we'll get to that later:

Up-and-at-'em when the sun came up (actually it was rain that woke me this morning). I used an umbrella to go shower-shave-and-shine, and the rain had stopped when I returned and took my tent down:

I took some photos of the neighborhood, work on their wifi for a bit, then headed back to the Buffalo Cafe for another GREAT breakfast:

After breakfast, on my way out of town I stopped at the Jiffy Lube. I stayed, but they were under-staffed and I didn't get out of there until 9:45. Up the road and back into The Park at 10:11 - WOW, no traffic today!

I stopped today at McDonald Falls:

Got a quick look at Heavens Peak:

Once again "Logan Pass Visitor Center" WAS PACKED, so I continued down the road. I parked at "Siyeh Bend", which is both a parking area and a Bus Stop. I knew by now that the "Highline Trail/The Garden Wall" was out of the question, so now what? Well, it looks like I could do "Siyeh Bend Trail, then back up "Piegan Pass Trail", then up "Siyeh Pass Trail". It is about noon, so I could hike for 2-or-3 hours, then come back down lickety-split, and head down to my hotel in Butte, Montana. Well, actually, once I'm up at Siyeh Pass, I could just keep going down the backside, ending at the "Sunrift Gorge" Bus Stop - and take The Bus back to my car!

Let's go for it!

1 mile in - you can see what a lovely trail it is, with its own miscellaneous stream that feeds into "Siyeh Creek":

At "2 miles +", I was having fun with forests-creeks-and-mountains:

At 2.7 miles, "Piegan Pass Trail" goes off to the left, and "Siyeh Pass Trail" goes off to the right:

Wildflowers are appearing on the hillsides:

I really like going up these Mountain Trails, and looking back once in a while:

I wonder what's up on that ridge?

Oh - Mountain Goats:

Actually, at 7,750 feet "up on that ridge" (to avoid the SNOWFIELD IN FRONT OF ME), the trail makes a quick jag to the right, goes for a little while, then jags back to the left:

After the 1st jag, can you see the guys on the trail above me?

Once I STOPPED GOING UP, the views were pretty cool! The first is out the back-side, into an area called "the remote Boulder Creek Valley", while the second is a few minutes later looking down at my destination: St. Mary Lake and Red Eagle Mountain in the distance, and Going-to-the-Sun Mountain and the Sexton Glacier on the right:

Beautiful country as I made my way down:

Pretty Eerie when you go through the remnants of the "Reynolds Creek Wildland Fire" from 2015:

At 4:20, I see The Bus Stop, and the end of The Trail:

I was finished just a few minutes later - EXCELLENT Hike - 10.12 miles in 4 hours 30 minutes:

A photo of a Shuttle Bus going the other way. I sat down at the stop, took one bite of my sandwich, and MY BUS ARRIVED:

We drove up the road (I was the only passenger), stopping at 2 places before the driver let me off at Siyeh Bend, RIGHT ACROSS FROM MY CAR - Thank You God! I headed out the east-end of The Park, taking a final Goodbye Shot:

From there, I headed South on Hwy 89 and I-15. I-15 is a pretty cool road - going down through Salt Lake City, then Las Vegas, then southwest, ending in Los Angeles:

I arrived at the Super 8, Butte, Montana at 9:43 PM - 356 miles today. Thank you God for another Great "Glacier National Park" Adventure!

Music today:

Taken By Trees - East of Eden, 2009 2nd album, last heard 6/25/2024:

Stephen Stills - Just Roll Tape: April 26, 1968, recorded 1968, released 2007 album, last heard 8/04/2016 - very good quality demos of songs you know and love:

Big Head Todd and The Monsters - live monsters, 1998 1st live album, last heard 8/19/2016 - great live album:


Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead, 1971 live double-album, last heard 9/01/2021 - I REALLY LIKE THIS ALBUM:

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (the white album), 1975 1st album with Lindsey Buckingham as guitarist and Stevie Nicks as a vocalist, last heard 8/21/2019 - I remember hearing this album for the 1st time, up at Bill Week's condo in Stratton?/Stowe? I had arrived in the afternoon, no one was there, and I put this album on, and said "Wow, this is really good.":


Jethro Tull - Benefit, 1970 3rd album, last heard 7/14/2022 - I really like "early Jethro Tull":


Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live From Madison Square Garden (2 cds), 2009 live double-album, last heard 8/19/2016 - wonderful songs. To quote Wikipedia: "The duo performed songs from their time in the band Blind Faith as well as selections from Traffic, Derek and the Dominos, Clapton's and Winwood's solo careers and some rock and blues covers." I still remember NOT GOING out to their concert in Minneapolis, Minnesota:


Past entries of this blog are available on the website https://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment