Friday, July 5, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 14-of-35 - July 5, 2024

Friday, July 5, 2024 - very interesting - in thinking about today, I keep transitioning between "I'm driving on an island" and "I have hikes, and places to visit, and a full day ahead of me":

Ellie was wondering how big Haida Gwaii/Graham Island really is (Ireland? Nantucket?), so I had some fun with Google Maps:

5:36 AM - the day is beginning:

My room is RIGHT ABOVE The Bakery downstairs, and they loved it when I told them IT SMELLED GREAT (the food is super good also):

Heading out, I saw a bald eagle flying from a dock to the beach:

Nice morning in July:

You may have noticed that there have "been gaps" in the timing of these blogs. That is because I have been driving through (and staying in) areas where WiFi is non-existent. This Island is one of those areas. I started Google Maps on my iPhone, and a couple of miles down the road I took a screenshot of my 1st stop:

It can be confusing getting to "Sleeping Beauty Trailhead":

I am actually doing the "Tarundl Trail" today:

I got to the trailhead, and made my way up through an unbelievably lush "rain forest" - there is MOSS EVERYWHERE:

The roots make the "trail" kind of gnarly:

It was 1.10 miles to the top of the trail, but it took 1 hour 36 minutes:

Although I didn't see anyone on my way up, at the top there were 2 couples (and their dogs), and on my way back down I passed 8 people (in 3 separate groups) going up:

My next stop going north was Rennell Sound Recreation Site (side-note: the inspiration-and-details for these adventures on This Island are from a great 2017 blog https://kath1961.wordpress.com/2017/09/14/part-1-haida-gwaii/). By now I've come to realize that the phrase "paved road" only apples to the north/east/south parts of the Island - NOT THE WEST SIDE. Cool view:

Very pretty over at Rennell Sound, where I turned around:

I was "Laked-and-Trailed-out" so I had an early dinner at The Axe & Anchor Pub - wonderful ambience (live music tonight, so I got to hear the sound-check) and views:

I didn't see "crab" on the menu:

I checked in to the The Surf Inn (part of the "The Surf Inn/The Surf Pub" complex), Port Clements, Haida Gwaii, British Columbia at 7:30 - 110 miles today. Thank you God for these Wonderful "Haida Gwaii" Adventures!

Music today:

David Bowie - Santa Monica `72 recorded October 20, 1972, officially released 2008, last heard 9/28/2013. My Sophmore year at Penn I was living with Bob (freshman roommate) in a very nice 2-bedroom apartment on Spruce Street in West Philadelphia, only a couple of blocks from our Freshman dorm (The Quad) (at that time, Penn guaranteed housing for all Freshmen, but that was it. If you were Sophmores/Juniors/Seniors and wanted Student Housing, go in The Lottery). I listened to WMMR, Bowie was hot (and good), and I was going to see him in another month out at The Tower Theatre ("they say" The Tower is in Philadelphia, but technically it's Upper Darby). I recorded this broadcast - that cassette was a prized possion for many years. Great to have it "offically released":

Joe Jackson - Rain, 2008 album, last heard 9/29/2013. It's nice to hear some good Joe Jackson:

Q-Burns Abstract Message - Re-Routed: The Invisible Airline Remixes, 2002 album, last heard 9/29/2013:


The Rolling Stones - Rarities: 1971-2003, 2005 compilation album, last heard 9/29/2013. Wonderful collection, spanning a lot of time, with very good production (at least when played loud):

U2 - Rattle and Hum, 1988 hybrid live/studio album, last heard 9/29/2013. What can I say - Springsteen is my favorite, I've seen Counting Crows many (the most) times in the past 20 years, and my license plate is RTLHUM. The album title, Rattle and Hum, is taken from a lyric from "Bullet the Blue Sky", the fourth track on The Joshua Tree. Lyric:

In the locust wind
Comes a rattle and hum


Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment