Wednesday, July 17, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 26-of-35 - July 17, 2024

Wednesday, July 17, 2024 - 1st day hiking in Glacier National Park (?my favorite National Park?):

My "winter research" had me identify 3 trails in Glacier:

Wednesday 1: Hike to Hidden Lake (from “Logan Pass Visitor Center”), 5.1 miles roundtrip, 2:52 time for hike, 4.8/5.0 rating

Wednesday 2: Hike St. Mary and Virginia Falls Trail (from "Sunrift Gorge"), 3.1 miles roundtrip, 1:22 time for hike, 4.8/5.0 rating

Thursday: Hike the Highline Trail/The Garden Wall (from “Logan Pass Visitor Center”), 15.0 miles roundtrip, 7:53 time for hike, 4.9/5.0 rating

Unfortunately, I forgot to read THE SMALL-PRINT about "Park at Logan Pass Visitor Center". It turns out that in July and August, YOU CANNOT "Park at Logan Pass Visitor Center" - people waiting for open spaces are worse than at Market Basket!!
But we'll get to that later:

During my research I googled "Best Breakfast in Whitefish, Wyoming" and up popped The Buffalo Cafe - so, after Safeway and gas-fill-up, that is where I wound up at 7 AM:
WOW - a Denver Omelette, toast, home fries, and coffee strong enough you might want to wrestle a bear!

From there I headed down the road to Glacier. Unfortunately, there was back-up-on-the highway just to make the left-turn into West Glacier, and then stop-and-go until the 2nd check-in. They have 2 check-in locations along the road: the Main Gate where they ask for your ID and Park Pass, and then a little farther down the road where they scan your "Going-To-The-Sun-Daily-Road-Pass" on your phone (don't get me started - what could go wrong???). I made today's reservation on Tuesday, March 19, 2024:

As a result, it was 10:37 when I reached Lake McDonald:

Glacier National Park is one of those places where it is best to take it one-piece-at-a-time. DO NOT try to "get-it-all-in in one day" - you will miss SOOOO MUCH (and you will be EXHAUSTED). A Full half-day can be spent at Lake McDonald - I saw groups of kayaks on The Lake, and many of the turnouts are deserted. Lake McDonald Lodge is at the northeast end of The Lake, and looks like a great place for lunch (a bit overpriced for my style of accommodation):

and just a little farther up the road is McDonald River, which drains into The Lake:

Then it is time for Going-To-The-Sun Road, which winds its way up to Logan Pass (please stay in your own lane!):

The aforementioned "Logan Pass Visitor Center" WAS PACKED, so I continued down the road. I was able to park only 1/2 mile down the road, so that was good:

It was actually a Beautiful Hike up to The Visitor Center:

Hidden Lake Trail starts just behind The Visitor Center (that is Clements Mountain right in front of you):

There are a few more people than I am used to, plus some other visitors-to-the-trail:

Sure is pretty up here at Hidden Lake:

Park Management has done an excellent job figuring out that if there is going to be a TON OF PEOPLE on a Trail, put down a Boardwalk:

Almost done - I see my car!

Very Nice Hike - 4.36 miles in 1 hour 41 minutes:

It was 2 PM when I was done - a little early to call it quits, so I drove down the road to Sunrift Gorge. There is hardly a cloud in the sky, and these days are long, so I don't think I'm going to make it to St. Mary Falls or Virginia Falls, but let's see what happens:

It is a beautiful afternoon for a hike:

I love seeing the people at Baring Falls:

I then walked only 1/10th of a mile to get to St. Mary Lake:

That was all for me. A quick little Hike - 0.93 miles in 29 minutes:

I headed east, out of the Park. Just when you say "I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE ANY MORE PICTURES", you see these views of St. Mary Lake:

I exited The Park at Babb, Montana, made my way down to Browning (where I bought Post Cards), and then back to The KOA. 329 miles today. Thank you God for this Great "Glacier National Park" Adventure!

Music today (I'm surprised I listened to This Much. I was driving more than I thought.):

Neil Young - Silver & Gold, 2000 album, last heard 11/02/2019:

George Harrison - Best Of Dark Horse 1976-1989, 1989 compilation album, last heard 3/05/2016 - ok album with a bunch of ok songs:

John Coltrane - Ballads, 1963 album, last heard 3/05/2016 - As I just said to Wendy: "How off-the-rails can he get for an album titled "Ballads"?" Very nice stuff:


Coldplay - Live 2012, 2012 3rd live album, last heard 3/06/2016 - I REALLY LIKE THIS ALBUM! GREAT ENERGY, GREAT SONGS! Wendy and I saw them at The Boston TD Garden at the end of July 2012:

Beyoncé - Dangerously In Love, 2003 debut solo album, last heard 4/29/2016 - AWFUL ALBUM (despite having one of the Best Album Covers EVER):


Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills, 1968 album, last heard 4/29/2016 - this classic wears well:


Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe, 2013 2nd album, last heard 4/29/2016:


Imagine Dragons - Continued Silence [EP], 2012 EP/album, last heard 4/29/2016 - very good music, but must be taken in small doses


Past entries of this blog are available on the website https://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment