Tuesday, July 16, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 25-of-35 - July 16, 2024

Tuesday, July 16, 2024 - Back in the U.S.A., and Let The Miles Roll - 505 miles today, spending the night at the Whitefish / Kalispell North KOA, Montana:

Last night's hotel room is really nice (GREAT Internet), so I didn't "get down ACROSS THE BORDER" until 9:47. I don't know - I'm a little surprised there's no Great Big American Flag, or something:

Wow - in the summer, this part of the country is really dry:

A nice view of the Columbia River:

At 12:26 PM it was 99 degrees!

Grand Coolee Dam is one BIG-SCAR-ON-THE-LANDSCAPE BIG EYESORE BIG DAM:

It was fun going past Banks Lake. Gee, who would have thought that, given THE CLIFFS ON THE LEFT, there might possibly be ROCKS IN THE ROAD! Thanks for The Sign:

Banks Lake is beautiful, and a lovely temperature:

I just didn't expect Washington State to be so "Prairie" - looking forward and back on Highway 2, between Hartine and Almira:

Almira had my favorite Post Office today (99103 - Almira, Washington):

I kept heading east, through Spokane, and then into Idaho at 4 PM:

After leaving The Mass Pike I-90 in St. Regis, Montana, I went alongside the Flathead River:

Did I say Almira was my favorite Post Office today - then never mind about THIS ONE:

With the sun going down behind me, I'm heading East from Charlo, Montana on Montana Hwy 212:

At 8:30 PM on a Tuesday evening, those guys are out there RACING on Flathead Lake!!

Montana Sunsets are GREAT:

I checked-in to the Whitefish KOA at 9 PM (which really was 10 PM because I lost a Time Zone today). 505 miles today. Thank you God for this Great "BACK IN THE USA" Adventure!

I had never been in a KOA before - I love the "family-friendly vibe", and there are 4 separate washrooms for use:

Music today:

Neil Young - Time Fades Away, 1973 live album, last heard 8/10/2019. I like this album a lot. I saw Neil on this tour in Philadelphia. The electric stuff is raw and ragged, while the 3 acoustic songs ("Journey Through the Past", "Love in Mind", and "The Bridge") are wonderful:

Cary Brothers - Under Control, 2010 2nd album, last heard 10/28/2014:

Amos Lee - Last Days at the Lodge, 2008 3rd album, last heard 3/04/2016 - actually, pretty good stuff - keep it:


Arcade Fire - Reflektor [2 cds], 2013 double-album, last heard 3/04/2016 - I wonder if this was that "indie record that's much cooler than mine"?

The Allman Brothers Band - Play All Night: Live At The Beacon Theatre 1992 (2 cds), double-live-album, recorded 1992, released 2014, last heard 3/04/2016 - obviously a great set of music:


Bruce Cockburn - Anything Anytime Anywhere (Singles 1979-2002), 2002 compilation album, last heard 3/06/2016:


Chicago - The Heart Of Chicago 1967-1997, 1997 greatest hits album, last heard 3/04/2016 - I really like their 1974 "Wishing You Were Here", recorded with The Beach Boys:


various - The Mask, 1994 soundtrack album, last heard 10/10/2015 - Excellent, High Energy album:


various - Pret-A-Porter, 1994 soundtrack album, last heard 10/10/2015 - just when you are ready to give up on this album (after 4-or-5 lousy songs), good stuff happens [including The Rolling Stones - Jump On Top Of Me, The Cranberries - Pretty (Remix), U2 - Lemon (Perfecto Mix)]. Trim down:


various - Shrek The Third, 2007 soundtrack album, last heard 10/10/2015 - garbage, delete:


Paula Abdul - Shut Up And Dance (The Dance Mixes), 1990 remix album, last heard 9/21/2023. I always love hearing this album - The Energy Is Great!


Past entries of this blog are available on the website https://dixonheadingwest.blogspot.com/

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment