Monday, September 14, 2015

Fall 2015 - Day 9: Wickenburg, AZ - Desert Caballeros Western Museum, AZ - Palm Canyon Trail, AZ - El Centro, CA

Monday, Sept 14, 2015 - Starting from the Super 8 in Wickenburg, just down the road 1 mile to the Desert Caballeros Western Museum, then 2 hours to Palm Canyon Trail, then back down to the Super 8 in El Centro, California:

239 miles; 4 hours 3 minutes.

The Desert Caballeros Western Museum is 1 mile from my Super 8, so that made for a comfortable morning. They have 2 excellent paintings:
Albert Bierstadt - Pike's Peak, 1863


Thomas Moran - A Passing Storm, 1920


Then west on AZ-60. I had to stop because Frank Sinatra was singing "I Thought About You" as I was driving through Wenden, Arizona:

Thank You God.

AZ-60 is a pretty straight road:


And then I went south on 95 (no, not THAT 95):


I wanted to see/hike Palm Canyon Trail in the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge:


I don't know how much "wildlife" they have around here (the road to the Trail):


The cacti (? cactuses ?) are iconic, and there is also this species that looks like long seaweed growing underwater:


The Canyon is in the left part of this huge rock formation (mountain?):


The Trail goes up the right-side of the Canyon. The left-side is jagged, and the sky is sooooo blue!

while the right-side kind-of goes straight up above you:


The Palm Trees are in a cleft in the north canyon wall:



The view back down to the desert is pretty cool:


I forgot to show MapMyWalk for yesterday, so here it is for today:

It took me 45 minutes to go 1.52 miles.

And here is the link to the Trail brochure
brochure

Say goodbye to the area:


Then down to Yuma, and west on I-8 to the Super 8 in El Centro, California! Actually drove 252 miles today, and it was 100º when I checked in at 4:01 - Thank You GOD for a great adventure day!

Music today was still songs starting with "I": 72 songs, starting with

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For 2005 The Persuasions The Persuasions Sing U2
and ending with
I Was Dancing In A Lesbian Bar 2011 Jonathan Richman Bridge School Concerts 25 (2 cds)

The list can be accessed here

Many highlights, but I have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment