Thursday, September 10, 2015

Fall 2015 - Day 5: Tyler, TX - Kimbell Art Museum, TX - Amon Carter Museum of American Art, TX - San Antonio Museum of Art, TX - Ozona, TX

Thursday, Sept 10, 2015 - starting from the Super 8 in Tyler, TX, west to the Kimbell Art Museum (Fort Worth, TX), next door to the Amon Carter Museum of American Art (Fort Worth, TX), south to the San Antonio Museum of Art (San Antonio, TX), then spend the night 200 miles west at the Super 8 in Ozona, TX:

597 miles; 8 hours 50 minutes.

The Super 8 in Tyler, Texas is one of the nicest I have ever seen:



Because McDonald's has excellent download speed, but horrible upload speed, I did blog work this morning, which got me off to a start later-than-I-would-like (9 AM); the flip side is that I avoided any Dallas/Forth Worth rush-hour traffic (says Mr. Silver Lining). Got to the Kimbell Art Museum at 11; I wanted to see a Turner of theirs, but more importantly, they were hosting an Exhibition - Botticelli to Barque: Masterpieces from the National Galleries of Scotland:


Although they have a "no photos in the Exhibition" policy, online images are available at the Scottish National Gallery's website. 3 wonderful highlights are:

Frederic Edwin Church - Niagara Falls, from the American Side, 1867

the canvas is 8 1/2 feet high and 7 1/2 feet wide, and is very impressive! (interestingly, I had thought it was much higher-than-wider; a "spatial perception" thing, I guess)

Francesco Guardi - The Piazza San Marco, Venice, about 1775 - 1780

although it was behind glass, it was beautiful, and in excellent condition.

Claude Monet - Poplars on the Epte, 1891


Back in the Permanent Collection, I loved seeing J.M.W. Turner's Glaucus and Scylla, 1841:


and, of course, Francesco Guardi's Venice from the Bacino di San Marco, c. 1780 [on the left] and Canaletto's The Molo, Venice, c. 1735 [on the right]:


I wanted to return to the Amon Carter Museum of American Art because 1) they have a FABULOUS collection and 2) they are right-up-the-hill from the Kimbell:


Three wonderful paintings I had not seen on last year's visit are:
Thomas Moran - Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, 1895 watercolor



Alfred Jacob Miller - Fort Laramie, Indian Girls Racing, ca. 1845


Albert Bierstadt - Sunrise, Yosemite Valley, ca. 1870


I then headed 268 miles south on 35 to San Antonio. On my way, I mailed postcards in Alvarado, Texas:

got caught in rush-hour traffic in Austin (which seems to start at 3 in the afternoon), and was in a torrential downpour on the highway in San Antonio


I had thought the Museum was open until 9, but was told "that's Tuesdays, not Thursdays". Tonight they were holding a reception for their Corporate Supporters


Even though I explained who I was (or more importantly, was not), they kept insisting that I stay, tour the exhibition (regular gallery was closed), and listen to the speeches. and they made me a nametag, and my affiliation was "Where is the Art?"

(I'm sure a picture of me will wind up in their members' newsletter)

At least I got to see The Alamo


Then a long drive (200 miles) to the Super 8 in Ozona, Texas. Look at a map - you will see that it is surrounded by an area called NOWHERE! At least it had a fun poster in the bathroom:


I finished the day driving 611 miles- Time to watch the Patriots beat the Steelers! Thank you GOD!

Music today was back to alphabetical songs; 161 songs, beginning with "I"

I Get A Kick Out Of You 2004 Jamie Cullum Twenty Zer05
and ending with
It Could Happen To You 1955 The Miles Davis Quintet Relaxin'

The list can be accessed here

Highlights include:

I Get Around 1964 The Beach Boys Sounds Of Summer

I Go To Rio 2004 Peter Allen The Very Best Of Peter Allen (TBDU)

I Know I'm Not Alone 2006 Michael Franti & Spearhead Yell Fire!

2 versions of "I Know You Rider" - one from Bruce Hornsby (from The Concert For The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame), and the other from The Grateful Dead (Europe '72)

That's all for now, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment