Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Fall 2015 - Day 10: El Centro, CA - 3 Museums in San Diego - 2 Museums in Los Angeles - Beverly Hills, CA

I apologize to my email subscribers for this being in their Inbox. I needed to make some corrections to the post, and the only way blogspot let's me do that is by re-publishing it. On the bright side, if you missed it originally, I hope you enjoy it today.

Tuesday, Sept 15, 2015 - Starting from the Super 8 in El Centro, California, drive 2 hours west to San Diego (3 museums are in Balboa Park), then 2 hours north to 2 museums in Los Angeles, then 20 minutes to SEE WENDY and stay with friends in Beverly Hills:

251 miles; 4 hours 10 minutes.

A nice morning shot of the palm trees and the 3 Super 8 signs (just so travelers will notice it, I guess)


A big windfarm in the California desert:


Me in the pouring rain at the San Diego Museum of Art:


Although the San Diego Museum of Art has a wonderful collection of Hudson River School artists, they were not currently on display. I did get to see 4 other excellent pieces:
Canaletto - The Molo from the Basin of San Marco, Venice, ca. 1747-1750

um, their online image looks much better

maybe the yellow walls throw off our eyes, and the camera.

Francesco Guardi - The Rialto Bridge, ca. 1775


Bernardo Bellotto - Pirna seen from the Right Bank of the Elbe, ca. 1756


Bernardo Bellotto - Architectural Capriccio, ca. 1765


Right next door is the Timken Museum of Art, which houses the Putnam Foundation Art Collection. Their highlights include:
Albert Bierstadt - Cho-looke, the Yosemite Fall, 1864


Thomas Moran - Opus 24: Rome, from the Campagna, Sunset, 1867


I walked over to the San Diego History Center, which owns a picture by Thomas Hill, but it was not on display, so I scampered back to my car in the pouring rain and headed up I-5 North to LA (it is fun to think of taking a road "north" to get to LA). I visited the Fowler Museum of Art (at USC) in sunny LA:

The only exhibit they had was about trash in our oceans - Gyre: The Plastic Ocean. It is very informative and disgusting, and seems to focus on methods of altering behavior/chemistry so we do not pollute our planet. I wish there had been more about the efforts to clean-up the trash that is out there - the only thing I saw was part of a video showing people with trash bags on the coast of Alaska (SIGN ME UP!).

The Hammer Museum (associated with UCLA) has a Monet I wanted to see:
Claude Monet - View of Bordighera, 1884


And I made it up to Wendy by 4:45 - pretty good for a 5 o'clock estimation! - Thank You GOD for all these wonderful days!

Music today was still songs starting with "I": 35 songs, starting with

I Was Doing All Right 2006 Diana Krall From This Moment On
and ending with
I Will Take You Home 1990 Grateful Dead Dozin' At The Knick [Live]

The list can be accessed here

But since the Fisher Museum of Art is on Exposition Boulevard in LA, I wanted to hear
Ricki Lee Jones - "The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard", 2007

and when I finished that, I listened to
Sheryl Crow - "Tuesday Night Music Club", 1994 a few times

No comments:

Post a Comment