Sunday, September 24, 2023

2023 Fall Trip - Day 18-of-21 - Sept 24, 2023

Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023 - Still Heading East:

I got 43 Post Offices along the way today:

I mean, out here in THE HEARTLAND OF AMERICA, I can watch the train go by:

or I can stroll down South Pine Street in Maxwell, Nebraska:

or, of course, just watch the crops grow:

Chapman, Nebraska at 1:32 in the afternoon looks A LOT LIKE Maxwell, Nebraska did at 8:52 in the morning:

I'm heading east on US Hwy 30, which was the main cross-country road in these parts before the Interstate Highway System (I-80). It is still known as "Lincoln Highway" in many parts:

At 4:45 I crossed over the Missouri River into Iowa:

Half-an-hour later, as I'm rolling through Iowa, I suddenly find myself on Loess Hills Scenic Byway:

The day faded away as I headed east:

At 8:30, in the dark, I took a video because I kept seeing these red lights in a line ahead of me, going on and off. And then I realized they are the windmills:

At 9:20, I checked in to the Super 8 in Coralville, Iowa [619 miles] (THANK YOU GOD for letting me travel SAFE AND SOUND):

My favorite Post Office today is 68840 - Gibbon, Nebraska - stand-alone, and I like the '50s color panels (and the flags flying):

Music for today:

The Band - The Last Waltz, recorded 1976, released 1978. This is the 2002 4-cd box set - 54 songs:

The Beatles - Abbey Road, 1969:

the Jeff Beck Group - Beck-Ola, 1969. Rod Stewart on lead vocal, and two covers of Elvis Presley tunes were chosen, "All Shook Up" and "Jailhouse Rock":

Andy Bey - Tuesdays in Chinatown, 2001:


Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Southern Accents, 1985:

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour, 1967 (I listened to it twice, because to my ears these days, 11 songs in 37 minutes just sounds too short):

The Beatles - Revolver, 1966:

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, 1995:

No comments:

Post a Comment