Friday, September 8, 2023

2023 Fall Trip - Day 2-of-21 - Sept 8, 2023

Friday, Sept. 8, 2023 - I left the Super 8 in Erie, PA at 8 AM, and checked into the Baymont in Hannibal, MO at 10:10 PM, with nice stops at The Allen Memorial Art Museum (Oberlin College) in Oberlin, OH and the Brauer Museum of Art (Valparaiso University), Valparaiso, IN:
oh, and did I mention 16 Post Offices across The Great Midwest:

I did a REALLY GOOD JOB packing for this trip, but left my glass-and-spoon in the drying rack. No problem - mission accomplished at 8:38 AM:

The Allen Memorial Art Museum (Oberlin College) in Oberlin, OH has a great collection, and I have been here before in 2013 and 2015 (so I wanted to return with MY NEW CAMERA in my 2021 iPhone). I arrived just around 11:

J.M.W. Turner - "View of Venice: The Ducal Palace, Dogana, and Part of San Giorgio", 1841 oil:

Pablo Picasso - "Glass of Absinthe", 1911 oil:

Claude Monet - "Garden of the Princess, Louvre", 1867 oil:

Thomas Moran - "The Grand Canyon", 1909 oil:

A nice walk around The Allen:

My favorite Post Office today is 44074 - Oberlin, OH (at 11:20):

I reached the Brauer Museum of Art (Valparaiso University), Valparaiso, IN at 3:20

They have a very good collection of Hudson River School paintings:

Frederic Church - "Mountain Landscape", ca. 1849 oil:

Alfred Thompson Bricher - "Off the Coast of Grand Manan", n.d. oil:

William Bradford - "Sun Rise", 1870 oil:

also a very nice Childe Hassam - "The Silver Veil and The Golden Gate", 1914 oil:

Good steps at Valparaiso:

Pretty funny sign to a guy who thinks that "the hills are the view":

My drive took me along Route 66 for a while:

After 748 miles, I checked into the Baymont in Hannibal, MO - Thank you God for this wonderful Adventure Day! Good to get back out on The Road. (maybe a bit long today)

Music for today - music from one of my 20-year old cds:

Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles, 1985 first solo album:

Lucinda Williams - Essence, 2001:

Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life, 1986 4th solo album:

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life (2 cds), 1976:

Yes - Fragile (2 times), 1971 4th studio album:

John Cougar Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee, 1987. WELL, OF COURSE because I'm drinving through INDIANA:

John Cougar Mellencamp - John Cougar, 1979:

Neil Young - Decade, 1977 compliation album:

Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy, 1978 2nd album:

George Winston - Plains, 1999 solo piano album:

The Byrds - Live at the Fillmore – February 1969, 1969:

Cheap Trick - At Budokan: The Complete Concert,, 1978 live album. This is garbage, except for the 3 songs that should get them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: "Ain't That a Shame", "I Want You to Want Me" and "Surrender":

Since most of these artists have multiple albums on this burned-cd, I will hear more of their work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment