Saturday, September 9, 2023

2023 Fall Trip - Day 3-of-21 - Sept 9, 2023

Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023 - I left the Baymont in Hannibal, MO at 9 AM, and checked into the Travelodge in Stratton, CO at 11:15 PM (with a Time Zone change), with a nice stop at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO:
oh, and did I mention 24 Post Offices across Missouri and Kansas:

It is a Beautiful Day driving through the Heartland of America:

This trip is pretty tightly scheduled, which I am very good at, but I REALLY LIKE a litle flexibility to "go down the rabbit holes" once in a while. Today's example: when I got off I-72 to take a picture of the Shelbina, MO Post Office (literally 1,000 feet off the Highway), the exit sign said that Paris is 17 miles south. SO WHO'S NOT GOING TO STOP IN PARIS!! (well, Paris, Missouri, 65275 that is):

Well, that just led to 5 other Post Offices before I got back up to Macon on I-72 (sorry I missed Clarence):

It was 3-and-1/2 hours from Macon to The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO. It has a great collection, and I have been here before in 2013 and 2016 (so I wanted to return with MY NEW CAMERA in my 2021 iPhone). I arrived just around 3:20

Looks like a wedding party later this afternoon:

J.M.W. Turner - "Fish Market", 1810 oil:

Claude Monet - "View of Argenteuil-Snow", 1874-1875 oil:

Claude Monet - "Mill at Limetz", 1888 oil:

Francesco Guardi - "View of the Dogana and Santa Maria della Salute", 1767-1769 oil:

Canaletto - "The Clock Tower in the Piazza San Marco", 1728/1730 oil:
I LOVE his detail:

William Keith - "Sunset Glow", 1896 oil:

John La Farge - "Peonies Blowing in the Wind", 1889 Stained glass:

Winslow Homer - "Gloucester Harbor", 1873 oil:

Thomas Moran - "Venice, the Grand Canal with the Doge's Palace", 1888-1889 oil:

John Frederick Kensett - "A Woodland Waterfall", ca. 1855-1865 oil:

I think I found the Wedding Party:

I sure made my way around that museum:

(Does this qualify as a stop for Ellie?):

My favorite Post Office today is a tie between 65247 - Excello, MO and 66542 - Tecumseh, KS:

REALLY BIG STORM in Western Kansas, but I just kept it nice and easy and made it through just fine (no dents from the hailstones):

After 784 miles, I checked into the Travelodge in Stratton, CO. Wyndham has a promotion going - stay at "2 other brands" and get 5000 bonus points; so this night completes the 2. Thank you God for this wonderful Adventure Day! Good to get back out on The Road. (yes, a bit long today)

Funny - I seem to be having a much better time "collecting Post Offices" than I do "visiting Art Museums".

Music for today - music from one of my 20-year old cds:

Sting - ... Nothing Like The Sun, 1987 2nd solo album - his best instrument is his voice:

Because I'm going through Missouri - Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny - Beyond The Missouri Sky (Short Stories), 1997:

Steve Winwood - Junction Seven, 1997:

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, 1973:

Yes - Yessongs (Live) (2 cds), 1973 1st live triple-album:

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969 2nd solo album:

Warren Zevon - My Ride's Here, 2002. Thank you Warren:

George Winston - Summer, 1991 solo piano album:

Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver, 1980 solo album - because it sounded so good 2 days ago:

The Beatles - "Yesterday" and Today, 1966 album:

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls, 1981 - Wichita is in Kansas:

Counting Crows - August and Everything After (deluxe), 1993 debut album. my mistake - "Omaha" is not in Kansas:

various artists - City of Angels movie soundtrack, 1998 - artists include U2, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Gabriel, John Lee Hooker, and Eric Clapton:

No comments:

Post a Comment