Wednesday, September 20, 2023

2023 Fall Trip - Day 14-of-21 - Sept 20, 2023

Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023 - Still heading north, up into Oregon:

Needless to say, I have a ton of "Desolation in Nevada" pictures:

At least I have a bit of company up on I-80:

The wind is blowing strong from the northwest, and I am shocked that there are NO WINDMILLS!

In my brain I'm listening to Johnny Cash singing "I've Been Everywhere, Man":

… I was totin' my pack along the dusty Winnemucca road
When along came a semi with a high an' canvas-covered load
"If you're goin' to Winnemucca, Mack, with me you can ride"
And so I climbed into the cab, and then I settled down inside
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand
And I said, "Listen, I've traveled every road in this here land"

… I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere


At one point I crossed over some sort of Lewis-and-Clark reference (I didn't stop) - I can't imagine them wandering around out here!

I crossed over into Oregon (for the 1st time today) at 1:25 (I can still feel the dry dust just looking at these pictures):

At 2:08 I crossed into "Mountain Time Zone". You can see that this "Time Zone" stuff gets a little funky around the Oregon-Idaho border, so I'm just mentally staying on Pacific Time until the end of tomorrow:

My first Post Office in Oregon - 97902 - Arock, OR:

I don't know - I think it looks like "Nevada with a bit of grass":

Into Idaho at 3:38
Looking backward into Oregon:

Still pretty dry country:

WHAT FUN - at one point, I found myself on the "Snake River Canyon Scenic Byway":

Just before Huntington, Oregon, on I-84 West, I just had to stop at the edge of the Snake River (the border between Oregon and Idaho):

At 7:30 PM I checked into the Super 8 in Baker City, Oregon. I drove 548 miles in 12 hours - Thank you God for this wonderful Adventure Day! Good to see the Snake River again - one of my favorite rivers.

OH - I saw 22 Post Offices today:
and I think I'll leave my favorite as the cute one mentioned earlier - 97902 - Arock, OR

Music for today:

Since I'm going to see them tomorrow night in Boise, Idaho - Counting Crows - Across a Wire: Live in New York City, recorded 1997, released 1998, 2 live cds:

Might as well continue with the "A" albums:

Neil Young - After the Goldrush, 1970 3rd album:

Modern English - After the Snow, 1982 2nd album:

Steely Dan - Aja, 1977:

Dire Straits - Alchemy: Dire Straits Live, recorded 1983, released 1984, 2 live cds:

Steve Forbert - Alive On Arrival, 1978 debut album. Wendy and I saw him at The Palladium in New York City - I think the show was broadcast on the radio:

lyrics to "Grand Central Station, March 18, 1977"

Grand Central Station
Wheels and it deals
The crowds rush and scramble
Round past the newsstands
And out across the floors

And I did some singing
And I played guitar
Down near a doorway
Howling out words
And banging out chords

Well, think what you will
Laugh if you like
It don't make no difference to me
I'll open my case
And I might catch a coin
But all ears may listen for free

Well, since I was living on the Upper West Side, and working over on Thrid Avenue (~48th Street), I went through Grand Central Station every day (and back again) from mid-February 1976 until June 1977. So I guess I was part of "The crowds rush and scramble". Pretty cool. (No, I don't remember him, but that's not saying he wasn't there)

Michael Franti & Spearhead - All Rebel Rockers, 2008:

Glen Campbell - All The Best, 2003 greatest hits album. Lyrics to "Wichita Lineman":

I am a lineman for the county
And I drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun for another overload

I hear you singing in the wire
I can hear you through the whine
And the Wichita lineman
Is still on the line

I know I need a small vacation
But it don't look like rain
And if it snows that stretch down south
Won't ever stand the strain

And I need you more than want you
And I want you for all time
And the Wichita lineman
Is still on the line


The Lovin' Spoonful - All The Best Of The Lovin' Spoonful, 1988 greatest hits album:

Augustana - All the Stars and Boulevards, 2005 debut album - not very good, except for "Boston" song:

No comments:

Post a Comment