Monday, Aug. 17, 2026 - Well, this turned out to be a Great Day in Michigan's Upper Peninsula! After a WONDERFUL Breakfast in Mackinaw City, I mailed some postcards, crossed The Bridge, collected Post Offices, saw deer and turkeys, and put my feet in One of The Great Lakes. After 440 miles, I checked into the Super 8 in Escanaba, MI (which is technically in Wells) at 8:45 PM:
I left the hotel at 10 - the park/beach is right across the street, with a nice view of The Bridge:
I bought some postcards, and had a GREAT Breakfast at Darrow's Family Restaurant:
Then it was time to go "Over The Bridge":
Up in Saint Ste. Marie, I'M TAKING THIS EXIT!!!:
Pretty day, with the hay-fields:
My farthest-east point was De Tour Village - no, I'm not taking the ferry to Drummond Island:
10 minutes later, working my way west along the South Shore, I stopped at The Beach (IT'S ALL FRESH WATER!!!):
A nice view, while I was waiting for someone to pull out of the Post Office in Hessel, Michigan:
I travel with Mr. Moosie, and sometimes he gets the attention:
Cool Sky, as the day winds down:
I checked into the Super 8 in Escanaba, MI at 8:45 PM:
Thank you God for another wonderful Adventure Day!
Music for today are albums that I have not heard before:
in this morning's hotel room - Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay, recorded 1962, released 1976 album, last heard never - very good jazz:
On The Road: various - Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits Of The '80s, Vol. 5, 1995 compilation album, last heard never - very fun collection!
various - Knebworth 1990 (2 cds), 1990 live album, last heard never:
various - Land of 1000 Dances - Volume 2, last heard never - good dance tunes, a very good feeling of rock's roots. The original version of "Barefootin'" by Robert Parker (1966), which Pete Townshend covered in his "Deep End Live!" album:
various - Miami Vice, 1985 soundtrack album, last heard never - some GREAT songs, some lousy instrumentals:
various - Nipper's Greatests Hits 60's Vol. 1, last heard never - I thinned it down to 6 songs:
The Tokens - "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
Skeeter Davis - "The End Of The World"
Little Peggy March - "I Will Follow Him"
Al Hirt - "Java"
Glenn Yarbrough - "Baby The Rain Must Fall"
Jose Feliciano - "Light My Fire"
various - Northern Stars, 2007 compilation album, last heard never. Nice concept (all Canadian artists), but I have the good songs elsewhere. delete:
various - Only Dance: 1985-1989, 1995 compilation album, last heard never. fun collection - keeps me dancing down the road:
various - Power of Soul: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix, 2004 tribute album, last heard never - Clapton doing "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp", Santana doing "Spanish Castle Magic", Sting doing "The Wind Cries Mary", Earth, Wind & Fire doing "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"
Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/



























No comments:
Post a Comment