Sunday, August 23, 2026

2026 Road Trip - Day 11

Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026 - Just miles and time in Montana, and spend the night in Billings, Montana! After blogging, I Hit The Road - after 345 miles (and 17 Post Offices), I checked into the Super 8 in Billings, Montana at 5:45 PM (I needed an "early day"):

I thought it would be fun to show the Post Offices I got, against a more-familiar geography. Imagine just 17 Post Offices between Boston and Northeast Pennsylvania!

BIG SKY OUT HERE:

Nice view of a Montana Valley:

When I was going to get the Post Office in Kinsey, Montana, I didn't realize that I would have to use the Kinsey Bridge over the Yellowstone River (The Yellowstone River flows northeast out of Yellowstone National Park):

I stopped for lunch in Miles City, and saw some good wall-art:

I AM NOT TAKING THAT ROAD:
And don't worry - I'm NOT going swimming in "Shark Bay", or hiking on "Scorpion Trail"!

Crosstrek hit 70,000 miles today:

It hit 101 in late-afternoon:

Rolling down the highway to the next County Fair:

WHAT'S THAT UP AHEAD OF ME!

Oh wait - it's going off to the side:

Checked into the Super 8 in Billings, Montana at 5:45 PM

But that's not the end of the day - dinner at Cracker Barrel right around the corner. View of a rainbow right from my table:

And some GREAT sky-shots as I was driving back to the hotel:

WOW - Thank you God for another wonderful Montana Adventure Day!

Once again, Music for today are albums that I have not heard before (well, maybe I have heard some):

in this morning's hotel room - Dire Straits - Dire Straits, 1978 debut album, last heard 6/04/2026 - nice morning music:

On The Road: Eric Clapton - Time Pieces Vol.II Live in the Seventies (3 songs), last heard never - There was a review of Clapton in the early-70's that asked if he "was becoming the Sleepy John Estes" of our generation (with VERY LAID BACK music). I kept the 3 songs that are great - "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", "Presence of the Lord", and "Can't Find My Way Home":

Faith Hill - The Hits, 2007 greatest hits album, last heard never - Her music sounds great driving through this country of ours:


Field Report - Under Glass EP, 2019 EP, last heard never - To quote AI "Under Glass is a four-track EP by the indie folk project Field Report, released on November 22, 2019, by Fellesskap Records." I really like Field Report (and I purchase their music):


Gil Scott-Heron - We Almost Lost Detroit (Session), radio recording, last heard never - I discovered this while searching for "Gil Scott-Heron We Almost Lost Detroit". I like his work a lot - dispair, but tinged by the fact that by even talking about stuff means there is hope:

Grateful Dead - Postcard of the Hanging (Bob Dylan covers), recorded from 1973 to 1990, released 2002, last heard 10/24/2025 - Great covers - This is the Dead/Dylan album I want to keep:

James Taylor - October Road, 2002 album, last heard never. Very nice JT album. You don't hear much of his stuff these days unless you listen to WMVY:

Jimmy Buffett - Coconut Telegraph, 1981 album, last heard 8/09/2019. Another really good Buffett album:

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from my Friends, 1969 debut album, last heard never. another good classic album:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment