Thursday, Aug. 27, 2026 - Since you're here, and I'm here, that means I lived to tell the tale.
I woke in the middle of the night, and the whole feet-end of my tent was light-up! I stuck my head outside and saw this BRILLIANT Full Moon:
Went back to sleep. Got up when it was light. Since my iPhone was down to 13%, I had turned it off last night. Of course, it wasn't any better when I turned it back on this morning. I woke still not knowing where to go. I thought I was on "the other side of the ridge", so I packed up and started up the trail:
It was slow going (no more heavy-backpacking for me), and I prayed to God for help, to get me out of this bad situation. Within 5 minutes, I heard footsteps behind me - it was a young couple coming up the trail. They asked "How you doin'?, and I said "Well, actually, I'm lost." "Where do you want to go?" "Well, I actually want to go to the 4th-of-July Trailhead." "Oh, we just came from there - it is about 2-and-1/4 miles back down this trail."
I was STUNNED. But as soon as they said that, my world changed, and I could see EXACTLY WHERE I WAS (last night's camping was at the foot of the ridge I had climbed up to!). I thanked them very much - they continued up, and I went down.
Thank you God for sending angels to save me!
Since I only had about an hour to go, downhill, I took some pictures:
It was fun seeing my early-morning friend (and him seeing me):
At 9:30 AM, back at the car, safe and sound! Thank you God:
I signed-back in The Register:
This is today's hiking map:
And this is yesterday's hiking map (from Google Earth):
Oh, well, if only I had access to Google Earth while hiking in the wilderness, I wouldn't have gotten into trouble!
I changed my clothes, and spent the rest of the day driving to the Super 8 in Boise, Idaho. I was cool driving back down the dirt road:
But then Crosstrek wanted a selfie:
Pretty awesome country out here:
After 385 miles (and 8 Post Offices), I checked into the Super 8 in Boise, Idaho at 6:30 PM
WOW - Thank you God for this wonderful Idaho-Hiking Adventure Day!
Music for today - I want to listen to some old friends:
The Beatles - Help!, 1965 album, last heard 7/29/2020 - This is my #1 songs-for-hiking album. I just push play (in my brain) and the songs (music and lyrics) just flow. Every once in a while I need to listen to "the real album", just to make sure I still have everything still in order. Listening this time, I was struck by how cool George Martin's instrumental "Another Hard Day's Night" (performed by Ken Thorne And His Orchestra) is - quick little sitar versions of songs from "A Hard Day's Night"
The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, 1970 live album, 8/19/2019 - well, I guess this one is a keeper (HA HA HA). No time for "Stones in concert" stories:
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story, 1971 3rd album, last heard in a blog 7/24/2026 - Great covers - "Maggie May" is my running song (which I guess it is now "hiking song"):
U2 - Achtung Baby, 1991 album, last heard 9/17/2023. I remembering this album when it came out and thinking "This is a Really Good rock album!":
Santana - Abraxas, 1970 2nd album, last heard in a blog 5/01/2025. Excellent:
Garland Jeffreys - American Boy & Girl, 1979 album, last heard 6/26/2025. No time for Garland stories:
Neil Young - American Stars 'n Bars, 1977 album, last heard 8/25/2019. GREAT album - listened twice:
Todd Rundgren - Anthology, 1989 compilation album, last heard 6/26/2024. I need to thin this with respect to another Todd Rundgren album I have:
Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/





























No comments:
Post a Comment