Monday, August 24, 2026

2026 Road Trip - Day 12

Monday, Aug. 24, 2026 - Leave Montana, go through the northwest corner of Wyoming (yes, Yellowstone National Park), and spend the night in Rexburg, Idaho! After blogging, I Hit The Road - after 404 miles (and 16 Post Offices), I checked into the Super 8 in Rexburg, Idaho at 8 PM (Yellowstone took more time than I expected):

Once again, I like seeing the Post Offices I got, against a more-familiar geography. It is like starting in Portland Maine and spending the night in Danbury, Connecticut:

So, as I'm leaving Billings, I pass Montana Lil's Casino Liquor Store - I cannot imagine ANY SCENARIO where that ends well!!

I'm trying to see if my solar panels will charge while I am driving:
I googled why it did not seem to work very well: Yes, your Goal Zero solar panels will charge behind a windshield, but their efficiency will drop drastically by 50% to 80% because of “windshield-glass reflection”, tinting, extreme heat, and poor angles.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Wall-art in Fromberg, Montana:

Sometime I take a nice picture of the local Library:

A nice view of the Beartooth Mountains in the distance:

It is always nice to be welcomed when you enter a new state:

On the 52 miles west from Cody, Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park, I took 15 photos - here are the three best:

I entered The Park at 2 PM:

In Yellowstone I took 56 photos (plus 4 Post Offices). The roads are WONDERFUL, going alongside Lake Yellowstone, or the Yellowstone River, or through forests and fields. Starting with Lake Yellowstone (of course I had to get my feet wet!):

Going alongside the Yellowstone River:

Leaving Yellowstone, going north and west alongside the Firehole and Madison Rivers:

Heading south through Idaho - I'm sure the Real Estate Agent says :"No problem with neighbors.":

Cool sky closes out the day:

Checked into the Super 8 in Rexburg, Idaho at 8 PM

WOW - Thank you God for this wonderful YELLOWSTONE Adventure Day!

Once again, Music for today are albums that I have not heard before (well, maybe I have heard some):

in this morning's hotel room - Bananarama - Deep Sea Skiving, 1983 debut album, last heard 5/13/2024 - I LIKE Bananarama!

On The Road: Augustines - This Is Your Life, 2016 3rd album, last heard never - I saw these guys open for Counting Crows at The South Shore Music Circus (along with Field Report) [GREAT SHOW!!!]. They started out as "We Are Augustines", but, needless to say, that got confusing, so they became "Augustines". Very intense (like Dropkick Murphys), but substitue "roots Americana" for "Irish pub/brawl":

Cat Power - Cat Power Sings Dylan: The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert, 2023 live album, last heard never - Cat Power has gotten a lot of press (relative to other bands I like, but not in relation to Taylor Swift), but I never got into her music. This, however, is wonderful. to quote Wikipedia: "The album is a faithful recreation of Dylan's set at the Manchester Free Trade Hall on May 17, 1966, down to the switch to electric instruments half-way through. The show includes an audience member shouting "Judas!" at Cat Power in the same manner that a person did to Dylan during his Manchester concert.":


Jimmy Buffett - A White Sport Coat and A Pink Crustacean, 1973 album, last heard in a blog never. Another really good Buffett album:


Joe Jackson - Fool, 2019 album, last heard never - ok Joe Jackson, I will keep it:

KISS 108 - KISS 108 Open House Party, recorded summer 1997, last heard in a blog never - Great covers - I made this recording of a dozen songs (plus DJ stuff). I LOVE THE ENERGY:

Laura Nyro - Stoned Soul Picnic: The Best Of Laura Nyro, 1997 double-album, last heard never. I love her 1971 album "Gonna Take a Miracle", but only some of the rest of her work. This will take some thinning:

Leonard Cohen - New Skin For The Old Ceremony, 1974 4th album, last heard in a blog never. I bought this album in 1974, I saw him in concert at Penn, and I don't listen to enough Leonard Cohen:

Livingston Taylor - Livingston Taylor, 1970 debut album, last heard never. I like this debut album:

Lou Rawls - Classics, 1984 album, last heard never. I like his voice & groove; similar to Bill Withers, but a bit more Vegas:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment