Thursday, August 13, 2026

2026 Road Trip - Day 1

Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026 - A GOOD FULL DAY, and I'm glad to be back Out On The Road. I left Home at 5:50 AM, and checked into the La Quinta Inn in Erie, PA at 8:30 PM:
oh, and did I mention 19 Post Offices in New York and Pennsylvania.

At The Breakfast, I'm helping Ernie "manage the nametags" - these are just some of the ones THAT AREN'T ON THE BOARD. Time for a little thinning:

I was able to stop at REI in Albany to get a replacement for my water filter:

An hour west I stopped at The Arkell Museum in Canajoharie, NY. I guess Art Museums aren't very popular on Thursdays:

Their main galleries were closed for renovaation, and I have seen what else was on display, but it was nice to get out and stretch my legs. My 2 favorites today are:

Winslow Homer - Watching the Breakers - A High Sea, 1896 oil:

Winslow Homer - On the Beach, ca. 1869 oil:

Driving the next 3-and-1/2 hours on I-90 was a bit harrowing. The weather was beautiful (not much direct-sunlight, high clouds, 80's), but the constant go-go-go at 70/75 mph takes its toll on me. I had a MUCH more pleasant experience after getting southwest of Buffalo, and grabbing Post Offices down State (& US) highways. It turns out that I was on US 20, which runs from Boston to Oregon:

It was fun getting 19 Post Offices from Buffalo to Erie:

After 601 miles, I checked into the La Quinta Inn in Erie, PA:

Thank you God for this wonderful Adventure Day! Good to get back out on The Road.

Music for today - I want to start with a couple of Triple-Albums:

Yes - Yessongs, 1973 live triple-album, last heard 9/09/2023. SO COOL!!!

Then, in New York State, let's go back to 1969: various - Woodstock One, 1970 live triple-album, last heard 25/01/2025:

Then into some of my favorites: Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town, 1978 album, last heard 5/13/2024:

lyrics "Racing in the Street":

Now some guys they just give up living
And start dying little by little, piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up
And go racin' in the street

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes, 1979 album, last heard 8/01/2018 - GREAT Energy:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited, 1965 album, last heard 9/07/2025. WOW - "Like a Rolling Stone", "Ballad of a Thin Man", "Tombstone Blues", "Highway 61 Revisited", "Desolation Row":

lyrics "Ballad of a Thin Man"

Ah, you've been with the professors
And they've all liked your looks
With great lawyers, you have discussed lepers and crooks
You've been through all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books
You're very well read, it's well known

But something is happening here
And ya don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones?

lyrics "Desolation Row"

Across the street they've nailed the curtains, they're getting ready for the feast
The Phantom of the Opera in a perfect image of a priest
They are spoon feeding Casanova to get him to feel more assured
Then they'll kill him with self-confidence after poisoning him with words
And the Phantom's shouting to skinny girls, "Get outta here if you don't know"
Casanova is just being punished for going to Desolation Row"

The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks, 1971 greatest hits double-album, last heard 9/07/2025. CLASSIC album:

Hot Tuna - Hot Tuna -1st album (expanded), 1970 live album, last heard 9/03/2025. Very nice listening on non-Interstate roads:

Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends, 1968 album, last heard (in a blog) 6/26/2024 - of course, a classic:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment