Saturday, June 1, 2024

2 Days on Long Island

Friday, May 31 and Saturday June 1, 2024 - Wendy and Ellie are off to see a play in Maine, so I'm going to head down to Long Island for the night. I was last through the Brooklyn Museum in March 2015, so I want to see their Excellent Collection with my new iPhone camera. I left bright-and-early Friday morning, and got home at 9 PM Saturday night:


I did get in some "Beauty-for-Breakfast" at Singing Beach before I left:

Going down I-95 through Connecticut, I realized I could stop in at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich (just after noon):

They had an exhibit by Andy Warhol, including "Jackie, 1964" (acrylic and silkscreen ink on linen):

They had a really cool line-art piece by Gabriel Dawe - "Plexus no. 43":
I think the lights (and their reflections) look great. I had previously seen a piece of his at the Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, TX Sept. 21, 2022 (read blog here)

I grabbed a Post Office in The Bronx at 1 PM (10469 - Bronx, NY):

and then over the Whitestone Bridge, with its views of the skyscrapers of Manhattan:

I got a Post Office in Queens (11418 - Richmond Hill Station):

and one in Brooklyn (11233 - Halsey Station):

Driving on Long Island was awful - note the dangling wires from the train-tracks above:

There are some nice streets in Brooklyn:

I reached the Brooklyn Museum at 2:30

I was VERY EXCITED to be here! Without checking for specific availability (On-View or Not), they have works by the following artists:

Albert Bierstadt 3
Alfred Thompson Bricher 3
Frederic Edwin Church 2
Thomas Cole 4
Samuel Colman 2
Jasper Cropsey 2
Asher B. Durand 3
Sanford Robinson Gifford 1
William Stanley Haseltine 4
Martin Johnson Heade 1
Winslow Homer 35
David Johnson 3
William Keith 1
John Kensett 2
Jervis McEntee 1
Claude Monet 5
Thomas Moran 2
William Trost Richards 13
William Sonntag 3
Worthington Whittredge 2

I started off with a BANG: Albert Bierstadt - "A Storm in the Rocky Mountains, Mt. Rosalie", 1866 oil:

Then it was time to see 2 cool exhibitions.

Paul McCarthy "Photographs 1963-64: Eyes of the Storm":

It was a collection of his candid photos of the places he was (hotel rooms, airplanes) and the people around him (John, George, Ringo) - interesting from an "historical point of view", but not for me. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the clips they showed from The Ed Sullivan Show (Feb. 9, 1964) - I saw them when they first broadcast (and so did my future wife, 1000 miles away!):
I turned to an older woman next to me and said "You know, it really wasn't That Long Ago." and she replied, "No, it wasn't."

Around a corner, and through some doors was the 2nd exhibition - "Hiroshige's 100 Famous View of Edo":


I just got a new book - "Hokusai and Hiroshige: Great Japanese Prints from the James A. Michener Collection, Honolulu Academy of Arts" (1998). Hokusai (1750-1849) and Hiroshige (1797-1858) were wonderful Japanese print artists, so this is very exciting.

"Senju Great Bridge",from 100 Famous Views of Edo, 1856 woodblock print


"Sudden Shower over Shin-Ă–hashi Bridge and Atake,",from 100 Famous Views of Edo, 1857 woodblock print


There were other artist's interpretations. Takashi Murakami - "Hiroshige's 100 Famous Views of Edo: Japonisme Reconsidered-View from Massaki of Suijin Shrine, Uchigawa Inlet, and Sekiya", 2024 acrylic on canvas


as well as a room with EXTRA-LARGE prints of some of the pieces:


On another floor is the set of Tiffany stained glass - "Dawn in the Woods in Springtime and Sunset in Autumn Woods", 1905:


I enjoy seeing "Museum Architecture":

"Assyrian Palace Reliefs", c. 870 BC:

And then it was time to leave, passing sculptures by Auguste Rodin - "The Burghers of Calais", circa 1886-87 bronze:

MapMyWalk in the Brooklyn Museum - although it starts-and-ends correctly, it gets a little funky for the 1.54 miles elsewhere:

I headed east, grabbing Post Offices on my way out to Lindenhurst, NY:

300 miles driving today, and a fun take-out dinner from "Hurricane Grill & Wings", right across the street:

---------------------------

Up and at 'em, and I hit the road after my Saturday-Morning-Bible-Study (yes, they do have internet on Long Island). I was going to be doing some driving-around to hit 3 museums, and then be at the Orient Point Ferry for a 5 PM boat:

By noon I had reached my first museum - the Nassau County Museum of Art:

Their Bierstadt was not available for viewing, but I did see Richard Hambleton - "Rodeo", 2004 acrylic:

I grabbed some more Post Offices, and made my way over to The Heckscher Museum of Art at 2:48

From their extensive collection (Bierstadt, Bricher, Church, Durand, Homer, Johnson, Moran, Richards, Sonntag, Whittredge), the only piece on-display was Thomas Moran - "Hopi Village, Arizona", 1916 oil:

When I was done there, I checked my map. I thought I was about a half-hour away from the Ferry, but I was actually 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES AWAY!

So I headed southeast to the Long Island Expressway (I-495), and booked it east/northeast. Once I was out on North Neck, I saw a couple of Post Offices next to the Main Road, and arrived at my Ferry at 4:49

There was a "medical emergency" (someone had slipped and hurt themselves on the boat), so we were postponed, but only about 15 minutes.

A nice way to end my picture-taking part of the day:

Another 3 hours driving, and home by 9 PM. Thank You God for these wonderful art/adventure days!

Music for these 2 days:

The Miles Davis Quintet - Workin', 1960 album:

Pet Shop Boys - Discography: The Complete Singles Collection, 1991 1st Greatest Hits album:

Annie Lennox - Diva, 1992 debut solo album:

various - Divas Exotica, 2007 album. With Ann-Margaret, Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield, what's not to love!

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell, 1994

Little Feat - Dixie Chicken, 1973 3rd album

R.E.M. - Document, 1987 5th album

Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, 1977 double album

Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player, 1973 6th album

Michael Andrews - Donnie Darko (2 songs), 2002 soundtrack album. 2 versions of the Tears for Fears song "Mad World"

Donovan - Donovan's Greatest Hits, 1969 1st Greatest Hits album

---------------------------

The Doors - The Doors, 1967 debut album

Down Avenue - Down Avenue, 1985 debut album

Rod Stewart - Downtown Train: Selections From The Storyteller Anthology, 1990

Grateful Dead - Dozin' At The Knick [Live] (3 cds), released 1996 (recorded in 1990)

Greg Brown - Dream Cafe, 1992 album

Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles, 1985 debut solo album

Ancient Future - Dreamchaser, 1989 4th album

Neil Young - Dreamin' Man Live '92, released 2009 (recorded in 1992)

Robert Plant - Dreamland, 2002 7th solo album

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment