Monday, June 24, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 3-of-35 - June 24, 2024

Monday, June 24, 2024 - I hit the road about 10:30 AM, and checked into the Comfort Inn, Alma, Quebec at 9 PM, with 2 stops at NATIONAL PARKS: Parc national des Hautes‑Gorges-de-la-Rivière‑Malbaie and Saguenay Fjord National Park:
oh, and did I mention 12 "Canada Post":

Since last night's motel was Motel des Cascades, I figured it would be nice to start with a photo of The Cascades:

FYI "ROUTE DES MONTAGNES" means "MOUNTAIN ROUTE":

Parc national des Hautes‑Gorges-de-la-Rivière‑Malbaie at noon:

You park in one of the lots and go into the Visitor Center to buy your pass (I have a Parks Canada Discovery Pass (Senior), but it seems "National Parks" in Quebec do not seem to be part of the Parks Canada system). You then take a bus a few miles up into the Park, right to the Trailhead:

I was planning on hiking the Acropole des Draveurs Trail, but only the first couple of miles to (what I thought would be) the top of the ridge-line, and look over into the Ecological Reserve and some beautiful lakes:

Very nice trail, going up next to a babbling brook:

Um, yes, there are some VERTICAL parts:

But they get you up to some Great Views:

I move to the side to let people come down - they have gravity, momentum, etc:

To make a long story short, I only got one little glimpse of "Lac du Pic Chevelu":

I continued on The Trail (and through THE WOODS), until I saw this ahead of me at 2.45 miles, and turned around. I have places to go.

Pretty fast trail on the way back down:

I was able to get a nice "waterfall picture":

I hiked 4.89 miles in 2 hours 50 minutes:

I took the bus back to the Visitor Center:
Maybe a nicer adventure would be to just have taken the bus all the way up through The Park, and back (like in Zion). Lessons in Life.

I left The Park at 4, and made my way down to the St. Lawrence River:

I drove north through some beautiful country on my way to the Saguenay Fjord National Park:

Looking out at the Saguenay River:

The sun going down as I reached Alma, Quebec:

After 238 miles, I checked into the Comfort Inn, Alma, Quebec:

Thank you God for this wonderful Hiking-and-Adventure Day!

Music for today - music from my iPod:

Because it sounded SO GOOD yesterday: Rush - Retrospective II 1981-1987, 1997 compliation album - GREAT for rocking across Canada!!!

Neil Young - Harvest, 1972 4th solo album:

Joni Mitchell - Blue, 1971 4th album. "I drew a map of Canada ...":

Gordon Lightfoot - Complete Greatest Hits, 2002 greatest hits album:

Leonard Cohen - The Best Of Leonard Cohen, 1975 compilation album:

Elton John - Honky Château, 1972 5th album:

various - Hoot (soundtrack), 2006 soundtrack - mostly Jimmy Buffett doing GREAT COVERS ("Wondering Where The Lions Are", "Barefootin'", "Werewolves Of London"):

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment