Saturday, June 29, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 8-of-35 - June 29, 2024

Saturday, June 29, 2024 - The "original plan" was 602 miles in 11 hours 12 minutes, ending in a tent at Cooks Campground and Cabins, Grand Rapids, Manitoba. We'll see how that works out:

The internet was very bad at the Super 8, so I couldn't do my Bible Study - I wound up leaving at 8 AM. As I was nearing the Canadian Bordar, I saw this sign and thought of the lyric from Springsteen's "Highway Patrolman" (From "Nebraska")

Well I chased him through them county roads till a sign said Canadian border five miles from here
I pulled over the side of the highway and watched his taillights disappear

I reached The Border at 11:20

I guess they didn't have anything to do because they gave my car a FULL INSPECTION and asked me a TON OF QUESTIONS. Good thing I like talking about my Road Trips! 45 minutes later I was IN CANADA, but on my way to Angle Inlet, Minnesota 56711, the "Most Northerly P.O. In Contiguous U.S.":

The good thing is there is NO Border Crossing up there. The bad thing is that it is now 1:30 in the afternoon - I'm pretty sure I can make it to the Winnipeg Art Gallery (they close at 5), but I'll be missing Watchorn Provincial Park and Devils Lake Rest Stop. That still leaves 4 hours 41 minutes (451 km - 280 miles) to go from Winnipeg up to Cooks Campground - that's TOO FAR to go to sleep in a tent! So I used my iPhone/Google Maps/Google and found the Ashern Motor Hotel (just 2 hours north of Winnipeg):

I got to Winnipeg at 4:30 - unfortunately The Gallery was locked up tighter than a drum. A workman said it is closed all summer for major renovation (not what is says on its website):

But "Mr-Silver-Lining" here found the Rand McNally Store and bought 2 copies of their best Canada Road Map:

Back out on the road, heading north and grabbing Post Offices ("Canada Post" up here):

After 483 miles, at 8:20 PM I checked in to the Ashern Motor Hotel, Ashern, Manitoba. Although they "only have wifi in the bar", I'm very happy to be here:

WOW - Thank you God for this wonderful Adventure Day!

Driving Music for today:

Lyle Mays - Fictionary, 1993 3rd album. Lyle Mays was a founding member (with Pat Metheny) of The Pat Metheny Group - when we were living in New York City, WNEW played them - they sounded great then, and they sound great now. This album is much more traditionl jazz trio (not surprising given drummer Jack DeJohnette):

Field Report - Marigolden, 2014 2nd album. Lyrics to "Home (Leave the Lights On):

Leave the lights on
Cause it might be nighttime when I get there
When I'm on my way home
Leave the the lights on
Cause it might be nighttime when I get there
And I'm on my way home


Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson, 1987 solo debut album. Pretty cool lineup, with Larry Mullen Jr. on drums, Adam Clayton on bass, The Edge on guitar, and Bono on backing vocals:

The Allman Brothers Band - The Fillmore Concerts (2 cds), recorded 1971 released 1992:


Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts, 2003 compilation album:

Drive-By Truckers - The Fine Print (A Collection Of Oddities And Rarities 2003-2008), 2009 compilation album:

Pat Metheny Group - First Circle, 1984 4th album:

The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues, 1988 album:

Jackson Browne - For Everyman, 1973 2nd album:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment