Saturday, June 22, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 1-of-35 - June 22, 2024

Saturday, June 22, 2024 - I know I JUST WANT TO HIT THE ROAD (especially with Wendy off on her Retreat), but I just can't drive through this great North American Continent without doing a little sight-seeing. I left Home at 10:30 AM, and checked into the Super 8 in Plattsburgh, NY at 8:30 PM, with a nice stop at Falls of Lana in Salisbury, Vermont:
oh, and did I mention 14 Post Offices in Northern New York State:

Because internet-connection is not something to depend on, I printed maps for going across Canada:

I did get in some "Beauty-for-Breakfast" at Singing Beach before I left:

Up in Vermont, I was a little worried when Google Maps had me going down this road, but I figured "What the heck - life is a journey":
7 minutes later, the journey ended (well, at least this section of it):

The Falls of Lana are mentioned in my Waterfalls book. I tried to do this in 2016, on my way to hike Mount Killington, but just couldn't figure it out. So today deserves another try. I wound up doing more hiking than necessary, but a hike-in-the-woods is always OK:

The trail going up is nice:

as is the section alongside Sucker Brook, above the Falls:

I eventually turned around and made my way downstream, to THE REAL FALLS:

Back down to the car, up through Middlebury and over into New York State. As I was grabbing Post Offices, I crossed over Ausable Chasm, where Wendy and I visited in 2017:

A quiet afternoon in Port Kent, New York, overlooking Lake Champlain:

Farther west, Mr. Moose is having fun looking for relatives:

After 376 miles, I checked into the Super 8 in Plattsburgh, NY

Thank you God for this wonderful Adventure Day! Good to get back out on The Road.

Music for today - music from my iPod:

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - The Dust Blows Forward: An Anthology [Disc 2], 1999 anthology. By and large, Captain Beefheart WAS OFF THE RAILS. ... BUT, in 1972 he released an album ("Clear Spot") that had some great songs, including his best rhythm-and-blues "Too Much Time:

The Eagles - The Eagles, 1972 debut album:

The Beatles - The Early Beatles [Capitol Album], 1965 compliation album. The album consists of eleven of the fourteen tracks from the Beatles' first American album "Introducing...The Beatles" as well as their first British LP "Please Please Me" - IT SOUNDS GREAT:

various - Easy Rider soundtrack, 1969. "The Weight", as originally recorded by The Band for their 1968 debut album Music From Big Pink, was used in the film but could not be licensed for the soundtrack. To deal with this, ABC-Dunhill commissioned Smith, who recorded for the label at the time, to record a cover version of the song for the soundtrack album. Hey, I can "work with files" - I just substituted The Band's version. WHAT A TIME CAPSULE:

The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach, 1972 double album. "Mountain Jam" (19 minutes 37 seconds) is WONDERFUL:

Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Serenade #13 In G, K 525, a 1987 recording of a 1787 composition. Pretty good classical music:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (2 cds), 1968 3rd album. Hendrix after Mozart - what could be better:

T. Rex - Electric Warrior, 1971. The album reached number one on the UK Albums Chart and became the best selling album of 1971. Great riffs:

Tears For Fears - Elemental, 1993 4th studio album. I (maybe) like this album even better than their Greatest Hits album:

Choir Of Trinity College Cambridge, Richard Marlow, Director - Elgar & Stanford - Great is the Lord, 1993. Wow, I do not like Choir Music:

Elvis Presley - Elvis 30 #1 Hits, 2002 greatest hits album - Some Wonderful, some not-so-much:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment