Sunday, June 30, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 9-of-35 - June 30, 2024

Sunday, June 30, 2024 - Today's plan is 713 miles in 11 hours 54 minutes, ending at Ramada, Cold Lake, Alberta - time to Roll Those Miles and Listen To Those Tunes:

At 6:44 AM, looking forward (west) and backward (east):

It's a Beautiful Morning out here in the world:

Because it was "part of the experience", and not just "audio accompaniment", I'm putting this here: I "attended church" this morning, until halfway through Fr. Tim's Sermon, when I lost the internet:

I'm heading up Route 10:

Where I saw "The Cutest Post Office In The World" (R0L 1N0 - Renwer, MB):

So much for my "Welcome to Saskatchewan" sign:

I think Mr. Moose wants to move to Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan:

Driving on Hwy 3 West, I’m struck that although FLAT, this prairie-land is fields and trees, with a lot of diversity. It is not like the endless wheat fields of North Dakota:

I’m REALLY GOOD with signs, but once in a while …

Sometimes the Post Office just isn’t where it is supposed to be:

So I tried to buy some postcards at a thrift store in Canwood, Saskatchewan, but nobody is around at 6:30 Sunday evening:

Beauty going through the area of Big River, Saskatchewan:

Only an hour to go:

NOW THAT’S A GOOD “WELCOME” SIGN:

Funky lighting as the sun is going down:

After 777 miles, I checked in to the Ramada, Cold Lake, Alberta at 10 PM (15-and-1/2 hours driving). Thank You God for getting me here Safe-and-Sound, and for these Wonderful Adventures!

Driving Music for today:

various - For The Lady: Dedicated To Freeing Aung San Suu Kyi And The Courageous People Of Burma, 2004 compilation benefit album:

Rickie Lee Jones - Flying Cowboys, 1989 album:


various - Folk Live From Mountain Stage, 1997 compliation album:

Joni Mitchell - For the Roses (2 songs), 1972 album. I only like 2 songs: "You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio" and "Blonde in the Bleachers":


Yes - Fragile, 1971 album:

Neil Young - Freedom, 1989 album - Wendy and I saw Neil down at Great Woods on our 10th Anniversary (June 9, 1989), and I remember Neil singing "Rockin' in the Free World" [The Indigo Girls were the opening act]:

Joni Mitchell - Hejira, 1976 album - this is her "Road Trip" album:

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, 1963 2nd album. Bob is from Hibbing, Minnesota, as is Kevin McHale, the Boston Celtics legend. Lyric from "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall":

I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it


Cream - Fresh Cream, 1966 debut album:

Diana Krall - From This Moment On, 2006 album:

Jimmy Buffett - Fruitcakes, 1994 album:

Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale, 1974 album:

various - G3 Live Rockin' In The Free World (cd 2 - 3 songs), 2004 live album - the 3 songs on cd 2 are "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)", "Little Wing", and "Rockin' in the Free World":

The Cure - Galore, 1997 greatest hits album:

Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley, 1970 2nd solo album:

Steely Dan - Gaucho, 1980 7th studio album:

Genesis - Genesis, 1983 album:

The Beatles - Help! [Capitol Album], 1965 soundtrack album - this is the primary album I listen to, in my head, song after song, when I'm hiking. What is cool about having a song in your head is that you don't realize/mind that you continue to repeat verses, over and over, and they still sound fresh:

Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, 1966 album:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment