Friday, June 28, 2024

2024 Summer Road Trip - Day 7-of-35 - June 28, 2024

Friday, June 28, 2024 - It was raining when I looked out of my hotel room:

Going South (back to the USA) through the Grand Portage Port of Entry at 8:17 AM

Pretty cool looking out at Lake Superior (I get cold just saying the name):

I'm try to insert a video of the roaring streams today, coming down from the west into The Lake:

If it didn't work, here is a photo:

I kept heading south, visiting Finland, Minnesota:

In Duluth, I got an oil change and lunch:

Down to Minneapolis, and the Minneapolis Institute of Art at 4:

Highlights include: Francesco Guardi - "View up the Grand Canal toward the Rialto", c. 1785 oil:

Andrew Wyeth - "Christina Olson", 1947 tempera:

Claude Monet - "Grainstack, Sun in the Mist", 1891 oil:

A fun view from the 3rd floor:

I got kicked out of there at 5, and headed north. I saw one of my best Post Offices - 56345 - Little Falls, MN - NOW THAT'S A POST OFFICE!

A nice shot of the Long Prairie River just north of Motley, Minnesota:

After 620 miles, at 9:30 PM I checked in to the Super 8 Bemidji MN:

WOW - Thank you God for this wonderful Art-and-Adventure Day!

Driving Music for today:

I started just listening to a local radio station, until I hit The Border. So, i am bugged by the concept of filling-up my car with gas up here in Canada - they use liters instead of gallons, they use kilometers instead of miles, and they use Canadian Dollars instead of US Dollars. I've come to terms with it by basically ignoring it, although I do do speed-limit and distance conversions when I'm driving. Listening to the radio this morning I encountered 2 additional problems: they measure temperature in celsius verses fahrenheit (It is not very meaningful to hear that "It was 10 last night and will reach a high of 12 today"; a more-difficult problem is how they measure rainfall - since it was raining, it was disturbing to hear that "It rained 14 millimeters last night, with a forecast of an additional 18 millimeters today." Is that a lot or a little? Should I be worried about streets flooding, or will it stop soon?

Then (obviously) because I'm going back into America: America - America, 1972 debut album:


America - History: America's Greatest Hits, 1975 greatest hits album:

We Are Augustines - Rise Ye Sunken Ships, 2011 debut album. Both We Are Augustines and Field Report were openers for Counting Crows when I saw them at South Shore Music Circus, Cohasset, MA on July 20, 2012 - AN EXCELLENT SHOW:


Field Report - Field Report, 2012 debut album:

Field Report - Brake Light Red Tide, 2020 4th album:

Malcolm McLaren - Fans, 1984 2nd album:

Regina Spektor - Far, 2009 5th album:

Joe Jackson - Fast Forward, 2015 album - not very good:

Robert Plant - Fate of Nations, 1993 album:

Taylor Swift - Fearless, 2008 album:

various - … Featuring Norah Jones, 2010 compliation album:

Jimmy Buffett - Feeding Frenzy [Live], 1990 live album:

Q-Burns Abstract Message - Feng Shui, 1998 house/trance album:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment