Friday, September 23, 2022

2022 Fall Trip - Day 30/37 - 9/23/2022

Friday, Sept. 23, 2022 - 5 Art Museums in 3 States - maybe I can get them all in, maybe I can't. Art in Birmingham, Alabama, Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Kennesae/Atlanta, Georgia:

Part of breakfast, since I'm heading into Georgia today:

My first stop is the Birmingham Museum of Art:

A lovely "museum space", with some real gems:

Albert Bierstadt - "Looking Down Yosemite Valley, California", 1865 oil:

Thomas Moran - "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came", 1885 oil:

Thomas Moran - "Venice: Grand Canal at Sunset", 1906 oil:

Claude Monet - "Misty Morning at Pourville (Le Matin, temps brumeux, Pourville)", 1882 oil:

Canaletto - "View of the Grand Canal", late 1720s oil:


You physically cut-into-Georgia:
but then 20 minutes later you hit Tennessee:

I reached the Hunter Museum of American Art just before 1 PM:

Paul Jenkins - "Phenomena Royal Violet Visitation", 1977 acrylic

Asher B. Durand - "A Symbol", 1856 oil:

Sanford Robinson Gifford - "A Home in the Wilderness", c. 1867 oil:


South on I-75, heading towards Atlanta:

When I was looking at all this stuff six months ago, I was basically concerned with 1) the hours of the Museums and 2) Google Maps [directions and time-to-drive]. It is a Great Way to START the planning process, but it is only "The Start" - you still have to take into account "other considerations". For today, that "other consideration" is that I want to go INTO ATLANTA ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON. If Atlanta was like, say, Big Spring, Texas, there would be NO PROBLEM - but it isn't. Atlanta is a MAJOR METROPOLITAIN AREA, with all the traffic-concerns associated with such an Area - Expect "Friday Afternoon Gridlock".

And that is what I got.

So I skipped the Zuckerman Museum of Art at Kennesaw State Univ. in Kennesaw, Georgia, and the 116 miles from "Hunter" to "The High" (which should take 1:57) wound up taking 2-and-1/2 hours, and I reached "The High" at 4:40 (they close at 5 PM):

Claude Monet - "Houses of Parliament in the Fog", 1903 oil:

William Stanley Haseltine - The Sea from Capri", 1875 oil:

Thomas Moran - "The Old Bridge Over Hook Pond, East Hampton, Long Island", 1907 oil:

So then I went into a room, and was presented with this:
Didn't they get my memo?

It is a very effective method to present A LOT OF ART (21 paintings plus 1 marble relief). But putting Moran, Whittredge, and Bierstadt in THE TOP ROW makes it a little difficult to see the pictures, let alone appreciate them. Don't get me started. (and with Alfred Thompson Bricher and William Trost Richards in THE BOTTOM ROW, you have to get on your knees to be even with them!)

I got kicked out at 5 PM:

I said Goodbye to Atlanta:

And checked into the Days Inn Madison, Georgia at 7 PM - 467 miles in 11 hours:

Thank You GOD for these wonderful "Art adventures"

Music for today:

Barry/Taylor - Rio De Duvida - sorry, no image. Nice worship music.

and then time for albums with "Alabama" on them:

Neil Young - Harvest, 1972 fourth album:
with the song "Alabama".

The Doors - The Doors, 1967 first album:
with the song "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)".

various artists - Best of Hard Rock Live, 2000:
1 Pretenders - "Middle of the Road"
2 Barenaked Ladies - "Brian Wilson"
3 Natalie Merchant - "Kind & Generous"
4 Paula Cole - "I don't want to Wait"
5 Lou Reed - "Busload of Faith"
6 Wilco - "Outta Site, Outta Mind"
7 Lisa Loeb - "I Do"
8 Ani Difranco - "Little Plastic Castles"
9 Fastball - "Sooner or Later"
10 Soul Asylum - "I will Still be Laughing"
11 Hootie & the Blowfish - "Hold My Hand"
12 Blues Traveler - "Low Rider"
13 Ben Folds Five - "Song for the Dumped"

various artists - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004:

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus (live), 1978 double album:
The chorus to "Oh Atlanta":

Whoa, Atlanta
Whoa, Atlanta
I said yea, yea, yea Atlanta
I got to get back to you!

The Allman Brothers Band - The Fillmore Concerts (2 cds), recorded 1971, released 1992:
Um, kind-of ESSENTIAL music when driving through Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment