Thursday, September 22, 2022

2022 Fall Trip - Day 29/37 - 9/22/2022

Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022 - Art in Texas, New Orleans, and Mobile, Alabama:

Up and at 'em - mailed postcards in Jasper, Texas 75951:

So, I'm heading south in East Texas on a straight two-lane road - AND WHAT'S THE SPEED LIMIT????

I didn't know they had expanded to Orange, Texas?

My first stop is the Stark Museum of Art in Orange, Texas:

I had been here in November 2014, when the weather was a bit cooler. They have a wonderful collection of Western Art, including Bierstadt, Moran, Remington:

N.C. Wyeth - "I've Seen Him Ride Broncs That Had Piled the Best of Them, and as for Roping Even the Mexican Vaqueros Have Had to Hand It to Him More Than Once", 1925, oil:

Thomas Moran - "The Mirage", 1879 oil:

Albert Bierstadt - "Storm on Laramie Peak", c. 1883 oil

Frederic Remington - "Halt-Dismount!", 1901 oil:

Then it was time to make the 2+ hour drive to New Orleans. They are literally REBUILDING I-10 as we speak:

Going over the Calcasieu River, which drains into Lake Charles in Westlake, Louisiana. I especially like the "pistols-motif" bridge decoration:

I know Wendy is worried about what I'm having for lunches and dinners, so I took a picture and told her not to worry, "I'm fine fine fine":

It is REALLY FUNKY (for my New England mindset) to be driving over these swamps at Lake Bigeux:

It is always cool crossing the Mississippi River:

Very civilized getting to the New Orleans Museum of Art:

Amadeo Modigliani - "Portrait of a Young Woman", 1918 oil:

Jackson Pollock - "Composition (White, Black, Blue and Red on White)", 1948 oil

Henry Moore - "Reclining Mother and Child", 1975 bronze

I then headed north over Lake Pontchartrain:

and over to Mobile, Alabama:

It is warm in Mobile:

My first visit to the Mobile Museum of Art:
OUCH - and my last - they didn't have anything I like.

I headed North on US-45:
and crossed back into Mississippi:

After a pretty sunset, and a BIG rainstorm, I checked into the Super 8 Meridian, Mississippi at 7:50 - 582 miles in 12 hours:

Thank You GOD for these wonderful "Art adventures"

Music for today:

can't leave Texas without a little ZZ Top - Rancho Texicano: The Very Best (2 cds), released 2004:

windows down, music LOUD - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I, 1969:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II, 1969

Because I'm heading to New Orleans - Fats Domino - My Blue Heaven: The Best Of Fats Domino, released 1990:

Because I'm going through Alabama - Drive-By Truckers - The Big To-Do, 2010:

Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South, 2004:
lyrics "Tornadoes":

The clouds started forming five o'clock PM
The funnel clouds touched down five miles north of Russellville
Siren's were blowing, clouds spat rain
And as the thing went through, I swear, It sounded like a train

It came without no warning said Bobby Jo McLean
She and husband Nolen always loved to watch the rain
It sucked him out the window, he ain't come home again
All she can remember's that it sounded like a train

Because I'll be spending the night in Mississippi, something from the Boy from Tupelo - Elvis Presley - Elvis 30 #1 Hits, released 2002:

which got me thinking about Bruce's song - "Johnny Bye-Bye", which first appeared as the B-side of the "I'm on Fire" single (1985). Wikipedia says:

Track listing
1 -"I'm on Fire" – 2:36
2 - "Johnny Bye-Bye" (Springsteen, Chuck Berry) – 1:50

The B-side of the single, "Johnny Bye Bye" - Just before he was sentenced to three years for violating the Mann Act in 1962, Chuck Berry wrote "Bye Bye Johnny", a sequel to "Johnny B. Goode", where a mother sent her musician son off to Hollywood to be a star. "She drew out all her money from the Southern Trust, and put her little boy aboard the Greyhound Bus." It was not a big hit for Berry, but Springsteen decided to use those lines in 1981, for a new song that used most of the lyrics from "Come On Let's Go Tonight", calling it "Johnny Bye-Bye". Springsteen had first started performing it in 1981 at the tail end of The River Tour. It was then recorded in April 1982 during the "Electric Nebraska" sessions. The official version was recorded on January 4, 1983, at Thrill Hill West, Los Angeles, CA, and one of the mixes was released on February 6, 1985, as the B-side to "I'm On Fire". The song appeared on preliminary song lists for inclusion on what would become Born in the U.S.A. but was ultimately left off the final album.

I've always felt it was about Elvis.

Bruce Springsteen - Tracks (cd #3), released 1998:

No comments:

Post a Comment