Thursday, September 8, 2022

2022 Fall Trip - Day 15/37 - 9/08/2022

Thursday, Sept. 8, 2022 - Another AWESOME Day Hiking and Driving in Colorado!

Hike "Poverty Gulch to Daisy Pass", drive round-trip from Gunnison, Colorado up through Crested Butte, Colorado:

Today's fabulous hike - 8.85 miles in 4:20, with an elevation gain of 2,316 feet:

I made it to Crested Butte at 10:39
I'm sorry, but at 8,885 feet, we won't be living here.

Having said that, the town has a nice vibe. I don't like all the Sotheby's Real Estate signs, but it seems to not have gone "all-Aspen" yet. Don't get me wrong - I like "what they've done with the place (Aspen, Vail, Jackson, Edgartown, Nantucket), but when "the billionaires start driving out the millionaires", I tend to shy away. I guess I just can't pay the entrance fee.

Blessedly, there are still a lot of good low-key places in this world.

And Crested Butte does have a couple of beautiful mountains flanking the town.

After going through town, I take a left on 734:

Yes, it has turned into "yet another dirt road".

I made it as far as I could at 11:36 (I didn't want to attempt crossing the stream), so I parked here and hiked over the stream and up the road:

By hiking up the road 2 miles to the "official" trailhead, I got to see some BEAUTY:

The view back down behind me as I hike on the dirt road up to the trailhead:

This is 1-of-3 cars parked up at the trailhead (no official sign or anything):

Wait - I found the sign!

15 minutes up the trail, this is my "lunch-time view":

Lunch is over - time to hit the trail:

This picture is for those people who prefer wildflowers and butterflies to mountains and waterfalls:

The sign at the trailhead listed 2 trails - this is where my trail splits off:

You keep going up, and the views keep getting better and better:

After back-and-forth and back-and-forth, I reached Daisy Pass at 2:30, where I was greeted by 4 hikers and 2 dogs:

They had come up the other side, from Democrat Basin - one of them took my selfie:

Looking down the other side into Democrat Basin:
and back behind me into Baxter Basin, where I came up:

Going back down, looking back up at where I was:

Nice hike back to the car:

I finished at 4:11 - Google Earth does a great job showing today:

An interesting thought about "water management" - if you take a lot in your backpack, you are more likely to drink more, because everytime you stop to refill your waist-water-bottle means that much less on your back, making a lighter back-pack as the day goes on.

A nice final-shot of Mount Crested Butte as I head back to Gunnison

The weather looks pretty dramatic over in that next valley:

What a Great Day - Thank You GOD for this beauty, and for the ability for me to enjoy it!

Music for today:

Van Morrison - Best Of Van Morrison Volume Two, 1993:

various artists - Ultra Chilled 01.1, 2001 double album:
Even with a song from Dido, this collection does not need to be kept. Glad I listened.

No comments:

Post a Comment