Saturday, September 17, 2022

2022 Fall Trip - Day 24/37 - 9/17/2022

Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022 - Wendy and I say Goodbye to Colorado, and Hello to New Mexico:

It is nice to see the morning beauties of Colorado:

Before going up the valley to Telluride, we turned south:

I love it when I can name-the-mountains in my photos:
and from another angle, but still dominating the landscape:

Continuing past Trout Lake:

So we tried to make it up "Dunton Road" to Navajo Lake Trailhead, but the road was insane [one lane, very bad surface]. After about a mile I was able to turn around and go back down:

Great hamburger/lunch spot in Dolores, CO:

After lunch, out of the mountains and onto the desert of Southwest Colorado/Northwest New Mexico:

We made it down to "Route 66" and the Super 8 in Gallup, New Mexico at 4 PM:

Since we are only 15 miles east of the Arizona border (and the Pacific Time Zone), this is as far west as I get this trip. Dinner at Cracker Barrel, and bedtime. What a wonderful adventure day - Thank You GOD!

Music for today:

Shadowfax - Shadowdance, 1983 third album:
delete - I don't like it as much as I thought I did.

Michael Hedges - Live On The Double Planet, 1987 live album:

Michael Franks - Passionfruit, 1987:

The National - I Am Easy to Find, 2019 eighth studio album:

And then Wendy got to read me a book she had just finished - a current-day thriller, and she reads it Very Well.

Louise Penny, Hillary Rodham Clinton - State of Terror, 2021:

and of course I had to end the day listening to all my "Route 66" songs!!!

The Rolling Stones - England's Newest Hit Makers, 1964 debut album ("Route 66" is the first song on Side One, so it is the first song you ever hear by The Rolling Stones)

The Rolling Stones - December's Children (And Everybody's), 1965 album (live version of the song)

John Mayer - Cars (soundtrack), 2006

Well if you ever plan to motor west
Just take my way that's the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66

Well it winds from Chicago to L.A.
More than 2000 miles all the way
Get your kicks on Route 66

Well goes from St. Louie down through Missouri
Oklahoma City looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona, don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

Would you get hip to this kindly tip
And go take that California trip
Get your kicks on Route 66

Well goes from St. Louie down through Missouri
Oklahoma City looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona, don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

Would you get hip to this kindly tip
And go take that California trip
Get your kicks on Route 66
Well, get your kicks on Route 66
Well, get your kicks on Route 66

No comments:

Post a Comment