Friday, August 9, 2019

August 2019 - Day 2/21

Friday, August 9, 2019 - Ohio-to-Nebraska today - just straight west on I-80:


There was no breakfast at the Rodeway Inn, so I headed out early and had a GREAT Breakfast at a Cracker Barrel down the road. I hit Indiana at 7:10


Illinois at 10:17


and some fun signs in Illinois:



I'm surprised - gas is cheaper out here:


Crossed over the Mississippi River around noon:



A nice rest stop in Iowa:


Ouch Ouch Ouch - it feels like I'm A LOT FARTHER ALONG than just halfway!!!

Heading down the road:


It must be because of the rains/flooding here in the Midwest, but right now there is GREEN EVERYWHERE:



I had a nice stop at the Des Moines Art Center:



A Patron named A.H. Blank probably should not have given his name to a gallery:

it might give the wrong impression:


There was a Rodin, Andy Warhol, Georgia O'Keefe, but my 3 favorites are:

Childe Hassam - "Bridge in Snow (Brooklyn Bridge in Winter)", ca. 1894 oil :


Edward Hopper - "Automat", 1927 oil:

taken at an angle, because of the glass-glare.

Roy Lichtenstein - "The Great Pyramid", 1969 oil:


Back on the road - more signs:


And finally into Nebraska at 5:30


After dinner out, good night to another great day:


WOW - Thank you God for this wonderful adventure day! (although it was another LONG ONE - 740 miles)

I like starting the morning off listening to books-on-tape. William Gibson (my sci-fi author from last year's trip) wrote another trilogy (known as the Blue Ant trilogy [Hubertus Bigend]): Pattern Recognition (2003), Spook Country (2007), and Zero History (2010). Today I started with "Pattern Recognition", cd 1 and 2:


Then Music for today was albums from an mp3 cd I burned back in 2000:

The Pretenders - Pretenders, 1980 debut album


Garland Jeffreys - American Boy & Girl, 1979


Carly Simon - Anticipation, 1971


Yes - Close to the Edge, 1972


various artists - The Concert for Bangladesh, 1971 triple album


The J. Geils Band - Anthology: Houseparty, 1993 double album

WOW - 38 songs on 2 cds!!

Peter Allen - Bi-Coastal, 1980


James Gang - Rides Again, 1970


No comments:

Post a Comment