Tuesday, August 27, 2019

August 2019 - Day 20/21 St. Ignace, Michigan to London, Ontario

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - drive St. Ignace, Michigan to London, Ontario (432 miles):

(including 3 MUSEUMS!)

Over the Mackinac Bridge a little before 9 AM



That's the sun rising over Lake Huron this morning:

I saw Lake Superior and Lake Michigan yesterday, and Lake Erie on Day 1 of this trip - I wonder if I will see Lake Ontario to complete the collection:


I got to the Saginaw Art Museum at noon, just as it was opening:


this was my first visit to Saginaw, and they have a nice little collection. Although I saw a nice Cropsey and Kensett, my 3 favorites are:

Gilbert Munger (NOT ALBERT BIERSTADT!) - "Merced River in the Yosemite Valley", 1876 oil:

Warren Sheppard - "The Trackless Sea", ca. 1904 oil:

Katsushika Hokusai - "Red Fuji", ca. 1825 woodcut [also known as "Fine Wind, Clear Morning"]:


And then it was 40 miles down the road to the Flint Institute of Arts:

And yes, the building was built in 1958. This was my second visit - on my first back in 2014, almost all the art was removed to make way for "local display". I had better luck this time.

Right off I encountered a Fashion Exhibit:




and then I got to other art:

Thomas Moran - "A Pastoral Landscape", 1889 oil


Tiffany Studios - "Stained Glass Window", n.d.


Paul Jenkins - "Phenomena Forking Paths", 1967-68 acrylic:

I like his art, and have taken note of other pieces by him:
(Sept. 7, 2015) Hunter Museum of American Art, Chattanooga, TN - "Phenomena Royal Violet Visitation", 1977 acrylic:

(March 5, 2016) Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee, WI - "Phenomena Blue Held Over", 1975 acrylic:

(Aug. 26, 2018) Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, OH - "Phenomena Ridge of Fire", 1996 acrylic:


And then it was time to head down the road to Detroit - they close at 4 PM today. Um, I haven't seen back-up like this since, oh, YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK:

(truck accident this time, not bison.)

I kept my focus, and reached the Detroit Institute of Arts at 3:30

This was my 3rd visit (previously Sept. 13, 2013 and Oct. 10, 2015). I am kind-of "Mr. Bragger" when it comes to seeing museums ("I can do a museum in 20 minutes!") - um, the DIA is a Really Good Museum, and needs at least an hour.

So 30 minutes is going to BE A PROBLEM. I have started doing homework before I visit a museum, figuring out 1) what is on-display, 2) what I have seen before/what I have not seen, and 3) what I want a "better picture" of (and also map out the floors and galleries). It is a long process, but it certainly allows me a much better, more efficient experience of the museum. Since the DIA is at the tail-end of this Road Trip, by the time I get to this point I am generally like a "deer in the headlights" - just astounded that it has all worked out so well so far! So I went (practically running) through the museum, taking pictures left-right-and-center - Canaletto, Guardi, Panini, Monet, van Gogh, Duncanson, Cole, Bierstadt, Church, Durand, Wyeth, ...

Today's favorites include:

Francesco Guardi- "View of Dolo on the Brenta", 1774-76 oil:


Claude Monet - "Rounded Flower Bed", 1876 oil:


Vincent van Gogh - "The Old Mill", 1888 oil:


Thomas Cole - "From the Top of Kaaterskill Falls", 1826 oil:


Albert Bierstadt - "The Wolf River, Kansas", about 1859 oil:


Sanford Robinson Gifford - "On the Nile", 1872 oil:


They have a wonderful space, and a wonderful collection:

Thank You.

I then made a mistake - not a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. Google Maps wants me to go northeast out of Detroit on I-94 East, and take the Blue Water Bridge into Canada:

Obviously there will be MUCH MORE rush-hour traffic in the US than if you take the tunnel or bridge directly in Detroit itself. I was on autopilot, so I just did Google Maps, and I think it cost me a bunch of time:


But I did get to see Lake Huron again:

and some cool clouds:


I checked into the Days Inn in London, Ontario and went out for a meatball sub. Thank You God for these great adventure days!

Driving music today:

I had once ripped a 12" 4-track ep by Bruce Springsteen - I'm on Fire / Rosalita / Born in the USA (the "Freedom" mix) / Johnny Bye Bye, 1985

This was the only available release of "Johnny Bye-Bye" until Tracks in 1998.

lyrics: "Rosalita":

And together we're gonna go out tonight and make that highway run

Elton John - Caribou, 1974

"Ticking" (last song on the album) still brings chills and tears.

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation, 1968


Garland Jeffreys - Escape Artist, 1981


The J. Geils Band - "Live" Full House, 1972 recorded in Detroit!


Huey Lewis and the News - Sports, 1983


The Kinks - Greatest Hits!, 1966

I owned this record!

lyrics: "Till the End of the Day"

Yeah, I get up
And I see the sun up
And I feel good, yeah
'Cause my life has begun

Melissa Manchester - Home to Myself, 1973 debut album


Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul - Men Without Women, 1982

yes - that "Little Steven".

Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles, 1974 double live album (side 1 only today)


No comments:

Post a Comment