Saturday, August 17, 2019

August 2019 - Day 10/21 Salmon River Kayak Trip

Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 5 mile Kayak Trip on the Salmon River:


When I was thinking about all this, I had a gut sense that I just didn't want to be hiking-hiking-hiking day-after-day. So, remembering the wonderful time I had had back in late-September 2013, taking a raft trip down the Snake River in Jackson, WY, I went online and booked the "Sawtooth Scenic River Trip" with the Sawtooth Adventure Company. I picked their 11 AM time:


Up bright and early, I had a Great breakfast at the Villager Restaurant in Stanley (excellent coffee). Then, just to make sure I knew where it was, I drove a couple of blocks to the Sawtooth Adventure location/store. It was 38° at 8:17 AM!! It sure is pretty out here:

Driving the 3 miles from Stanley back out to Redwood Cabins:

a nice easy place to stay:

with a cool view across the street:


The buildings have 2 units - my unit is the one on the left:

very spacious:


(interior photos for all you HGTV fans)

In the exterior photo, you may have noticed the Salmon River and some chairs:

Right Outside My Window - SOOO COOL!

I got up to the Sawtooth Adventure Company:

and met Tara and Hunter.

Tara said: So, what would you like to do? You can relax and lay back in an inflatable boat, with Hunter steering with oars, or you can each have your own inflatable kayaks?

I said Wait Wait Don't Tell Me Wait Wait, you mean I'm THE ONLY PERSON on this trip??

Yes, most people do the whitewater stuff.

Thank You God!

I picked the kayak-option, and we drove out the Salmon River:

(that's mine in the middle.)

It was GREAT lazying down the river (going right by my room!), occasionally avoiding a rock or branch, saying hi to fisherman, getting my legs wet in a hot-spring-tub, and chatting (or not chatting) with Hunter. He did a wonderful job! 5 miles (2 hours) down the river, we pulled out at the Mormon Bend Campground:


I did not take a camera with me, which WAS PERFECT because the river goes right along the road (State Hwy 75), and I can just drive along it and take my own pictures, which is what I did in the afternoon (after lunch on the deck at the Bridge Street Grill):







I was able to climb up the hillside and get some cool shots:

Say Hi to the paddleboarders and kayaks:




I then went back to my room to figure out my next steps. I love the Salmon River, and I want to see where it goes. The town of Challis, Idaho is about an hour up the road - so let's go exploring (have dinner when I get up there). Regular map:

and now with Terrain View:


A panaroma of a beautiful river bend:

and then "just the regular river":


Nice dinner in Challis, and mailed Ellie's postcard:


I saw two deer and a fox on my drive home - what a wonderful relaxing day! Thank you God for all these wonderful adventures!

For my afternoon/evening drives:

Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street, 1978

With tunes like "Good Lovin'", "Shakedown Street", "Fire on the Mountain", and "I Need a Miracle", this is a really good album.

Talking Head - Stop Making Sense, 1984 live album

Hunter was playing a Talking Heads cd in the van today, and he "took me to the river".

lyrics: "Take Me To The River"

Take me to the river, drop me in the water
Take me to the river, dip me in the water
Washing me down, washing me down

Van Morrison - Wavelength, 1978


It was dark after dinner (and cold), so for my drive home I continued with "Pattern Recognition", cd 5:


No comments:

Post a Comment