Monday, August 26, 2019

August 2019 - Day 19/21 Duluth, Minnesota to St. Ignace, Michigan

Monday, August 26, 2019 - drive Duluth, Minnesota to St. Ignace, Michigan (423 miles):

the jagged red line is the break between the Central Time Zone and the Eastern Time Zone.

I was sitting in my room about 6:45, thinking about how the day was going to unfold. I had a 5-hour-and-20-minute drive to get to Munising, Michigan, and I had a ticket on the 1 PM "Spray Falls Cruise" boat-tour of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. So I should leave at 20 minutes before 8. BUT THEN I REMEMBERED THE TIME ZONE CHANGE!, meaning I should leave at 20 minutes before 7 - I WAS ALREADY 5 minutes LATE!

So I just got all my stuff together and hit the road!

It changes to Eastern Time Zone just east of Wakefield, Michigan. There was a huge lake 20 miles farther east of Wakefield - Lake Gogebic - but no time for pictures!

Kind-of-speeding, I reached the Pictured Rocks Cruises at 12:45 (Eastern Time Zone):


Nice boat:


With a good view out the stern:



20 minutes into the trip we saw our first "Pictured Rocks":

with many more to follow. Perspective from the boat:

and with kayaks:

(I'm glad I'm in the Tour Boat).

One of the arches:



Cool Rocks:





and waterfalls:


On the way back we got a nice close-up of "East Channel Lighthouse" on Grand Island:


Back at the dock by 3:30. I hit the gift shop (postcards!), and then headed just up the road to "Munsing Falls Visitor Center", which has a little 1/4 mile hike to a waterfall:



I then drove a couple of miles farther up the road, to the "Headquarters":

It was raining, and I had already gotten my map/brochure, so I just headed back into town to mail Ellie's postcard:


My 122 mile/2 hour drive down to St. Ignace, was easy, and I went alongside the north shore of Lake Michigan



WAIT - what does that sign say?

Gee, I don't recall seeing any signs that said: "Watch for BISON on road"!!!!

Within sight of the Mackinac Bridge:

I checked into the Super 8 in St. Ignace, Michigan at 6:20 PM:


Thank You God for these great adventure days!

Driving music today:

Billy Joel - River of Dreams, 1993


Simple Minds - Good News from the Next World, 1995


Big Head Todd and The Monsters - Sister Sweetly, 1993


Spanky and Our Gang - Greatest Hits

a few nice hits on this album. And yes, one song ("Give A Damn") still gives me chills after all these years.

Tears For Fears - Raoul and the Kings of Spain, 1995

Great 1st song, lousy rest of album.

The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse, 1996


The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East-West, 1966

with Mike Bloomfield on lead electric guitar.

Mott the Hoople - All The Young Dudes, 1972

4 songs I culled from the extended cd.

The National - Boxer, 2007

I knew the lead singer sounded like someone - Leonard Cohen!

The National - High Violet, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment