Thursday, August 8, 2019

August 2019 - Day 1/21

Thursday, August 8, 2019 - This 3-week trip is almost-All-About-The-Hiking:


My 3 main hiking endeavors are:
1 - Do my 4th multi-night camping in the Wind River Range in Wyoming, completing that special area.
2 - Do my first multi-night camping in the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho - it is an area that has rave reviews.
3 - Do a bunch of day-hikes in the Beartooth Mountains in southwestern Montana. Since last year's multi-night camping there, I have been itching to get back and do some exploring.

Up at 4:50, leave the house at 5:33 to get Ellie to Logan Airport at 6:20 (she's flying to St. Louis for a few days to see the Boldts!). Drive around and into Boston for my Thursday Men's Breakfast. I was early, and was able to do a nice walk around the Public Garden:

At least I got SOME EXERCISE today! The rest of the day was spent DRIVING TO OHIO:


There was traffic on the Mass Pike, but we were all going speed-limit-plus-5:



Even western Mass was kind-of full:

Maybe I'm just getting ready for the "wide open spaces".

Albany at 11:30



The temperature would get up into the 80s, then big rains would happen, and then it would be back in the low 70s. Repeat 4-or-5 times.

Storm clouds outside of Buffalo:


Signs for Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Erie (Pennsylvania):


Big Sharp turn in Cleveland at 7:30 PM:


Check in at 9:36 PM - 815 miles today:


WOW - Thank you God for this wonderful adventure day! (although it was a BIT LONG)

Music for today was albums from an mp3 cd I burned back in 2000:

Cream - Wheels of Fire, 1968 double album

Well of course I have to listen to "Wheels of Fire" - I'M GOING ON A ROAD TRIP!!!

Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing, 1975


Billy Joel - Greatest Hits – Volume I & Volume II, 1985 double album

It's pretty cool listening to him sing "New York State of Mind" while driving in New York State.

Elton John - Honky Château, 1972


U2 - October, 1981


the Rolling Stones - Aftermath, 1966


Steve Miller Band - Brave New World, 1969


Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross, 1979 debut album

I remember listening to "Sailing" all summer 1980

Crosby, Stills & Nash - CSN, 1977


The Del Fuegos - Boston, Mass., 1985

These guys were SO COOL (and fun!). I saw them at their concert at the Orpheum in Boston in when - 1986? It was great!

Garland Jeffreys - Ghost Writer, 1977


Joe Jackson - I'm The Man, 1979


Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III, 1970


Leo Kottke - The Best, 1976 double album

I love his version of "Eight Miles High"!

David Bowie - Let's Dance, 1983

With "Modern Love", "China Girl" and "Let's Dance" leading off Side 1, and "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" on Side 2, this just might be his best album. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment