Monday, August 19, 2019

August 2019 - Day 12/21 Selway River

Monday, August 19, 2019 - Visit the Selway River, then drive to the Super 8 in Missoula, Montana (237 miles):



I left Grangeville, Idaho around 9:30, quickly getting into some Beautiful Country:





A little after 11, I entered the Nez Perce National Forest:

and by 11:30 I was going up Forest Road 223 alongside the Selway River:







My original plan was to "hike Selway Crags via Big Fog and Legend Lakes - 8.6 miles round-trip":

Unfortunately, after driving 18.1 BEAUTIFUL miles up Selway Road (alongside the Selway River), I got to Fog Mtn Road (Forest Road 319):

And it was Closed:

(this evening I went online and found the official notice):


Since I really didn't feel like "hiking in" [another 13 miles to Big Fog Saddle/End Of Road ... plus 13 miles back out again), it was time for Plan B. I drove just a little farther up the road to where a bridge crosses over the river to a campground on the other side, and parked in a shaded area:


A man and his daughter were strolling on the bridge:

I joined them, to look upstream:

and downstream:


I went back to my car, grabbed my hiking poles and hiked to the end of the road (only a mile):




I discovered a wonderful little beach:


which is where the rafting people put-in.

What A Beautiful River:


I reached the end of the road:

and continued on a little hiking trail to get my farthest-up look:


I hiked back to my car (nice view of the bridge downstream):

and drove back upstream for a nice little swim:


Time to go - I headed back down the road. Selway Falls:


and a few more "Idaho river" pictures:





Back down in the valley, near the Lochsa River, it was 93° at 3:09 this afternoon.

There are no straight roads in northern Idaho:


Good to be leaving the Pacific Time Zone:

and getting into Montana:

and, a little while later, checking into Missoula:


Thank you God for all this beautiful (non-stressful hiking) day in your creation!

I started today's drive with "Pattern Recognition", cd 6:


Then music-time:

Steve Miller Band - Your Saving Grace, 1969


Billy Joel - Glass Houses, 1980


Bette Midler - Bette Midler, 1973


Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water, 1970


Dire Straits - Communiqué, 1979


Delaney & Bonnie & Friends - On Tour, 1970

It was great being on a highway heading east, listening to "Comin' Home".

the Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, 1970 live album


Richie Havens - Richard P. Havens, 1983, 1968 double album


No comments:

Post a Comment