Thursday, August 22, 2019

August 2019 - Day 15/21 hike The Beaten Path (lower 1/4)

Thursday, August 22, 2019 - hike the lower 1/4 of The Beaten Path (16.36 miles in 7 hours 32 minutes):

Last year's hike is in green - today's is red.

I had a bad night's sleep last night (and tonight's won't be much better). I thought about it a couple of days later, and I think it is the altitude: Cooke City is at 7608', while Red Lodge is "down there" at 5568'. And yes, I did sleep better once I got down there to Red Lodge.

Cooke City (and the "Soda Butte Lodge") looks better in the light of day:

with a nice view out my room:



After a great breakfast at the Bearclaw Bakery, I was up at the Clarks Fork Trailhead a little after 10:


Nice viewing/picnic area at the beginning of the trail:

and then you get in on the trail:

Alternating between forest-and-meadow:


I was enjoying Kersey Lake:

when 4 ladies came by on horseback:


Gee, I wonder what I'll find down on the trail, following those guys.

A little while later I came upon a beautiful little bridge:

looking left:

and looking right:


More forest:

and my first look at Russell Creek



A fun mountain path:

going up next to a WATERFALL:



A nice look at Russell Lake:

and 8 miles up from the trailhead, I get to the bridge over Russell Creek:

looking upstream:

looking downstream:

and looking back from the other side:


This is my picture from last Sept. 1, 2018, so I HAVE COMPLETED THE BEATEN PATH!


A final panorama of Kersey Lake:


At 4:30 I went up the side-trail to Rock Island Lake:




Back at the trailhead-area is a series of boardwalks and paths:


that give you great views of the river/waterfalls:




I finished hiking about 6 Pm - headed back to Cooke City (I think they are a little fast and loose with the term "City" out here); then a great dinner at the Beartooth Café. Thank you God for all this really cool wonderfulness in your creation!

Just some "Pattern Recognition", cd 8 today:


No comments:

Post a Comment