Wednesday, August 21, 2019

August 2019 - Day 14/21 drive through Yellowstone

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - drive through Yellowstone National Park (370 miles):


I did a lot of blogging this morning (too busy last night watching the SyFy channel - I think this trip I've seen EVERY AVENGERS MOVIE - EVER), and off to a late start. After I checked out, I went to Rods-N-Dogs Car Wash:

and got a BRIGHT SPARKLING CLEAN CAR:


Then up onto I-90 East for 229 miles:


WOW - Montana sure is "Big Sky Country":






By 2:50 I had turned off onto Hwy 89 South, alongside Pine Creek:


You then turn right on "Tom Miner Creek Road":

yes, another dirt road, but one with really pretty views




At the gate for Grizzly Creek Ranch:


Pretty country up here:



I wanted to hike the Petrified Forest Interpretive Trail, and so I reached the trailhead at 4 PM:

It was a nice little hike (stretch the legs). I went up the valley, back-and-forth to get some altitude, a little exploring at the tops, and then back down the ridgeline (1.8 miles):


Pretty hike - through the gate (close it with the chain behind you):


I'm heading up there:


The view from the top is really nice:

I saw rocks, but no "petrified forest":


Good "ridge hike" back down, and I was out of there by 5:15.

Because I wound up following a pickup

it took me 45 minutes to get back out to 89 South. With the windows rolled up (dust), I was able to listen to my books-on-cd, so that was fun.

It was 6:15 when I reached the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center:

It was closed - no big problem, because their wonderful/extensive collection of Thomas Moran's watercolors are not open for public viewing - you have to take the whole Wednesday-afternoon tour, and I have done that already (Aug. 16, 2017).

So it was "INTO THE PARK":

Although there are a ton of people in the Park in August, Yellowstone is HUGE - 3,468 square miles in area, larger than the states of Rhode Island or Delaware. So there are some pretty beautiful wide-open spaces:




Unfortunately, there are times when it gets REALLY CROWDED:

no - you do not want to be on a motorcycle when you encounter a herd of bison on the road:


Wow - got past that herd! Oh wait - right around the bend were TWICE AS MANY! They are going to get out of my way - aren't they??





The suddenly some guy decides to cross RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME:

HEY - I once got a ticket for jaywalking, in Concord, NH ... but NOOOOOOOO, those rules don't seem to apply OUT HERE!

And don't forget the 1st rule - Never make eye contact:


I have never been up this "Northeast Entrance Road" before:

It is beautiful going out through the Lamar Valley and then up alongside the Lamar River:

Unfortunately, it was 10 minutes before 8, and I was just plain running out of daylight.

I reached Cooke City:

and checked into the "Soda Butte Lodge". Thank you God for all this really cool wonderfulness in your creation!

Today started with "blogging music":

I like starting my mornings with jazz piano music - almost always Bill Evans - "cd 2 Complete Fantasy Recordings"

This is part of a 9-cd box set of Bill Evan's work with Fantasy Records (1973-1979), and the first 5 cuts of cd 2 are live recordings. I have listened to this cd probably a couple of dozen times - the music is just starting to sound familiar, but I think I have a long way to go to "remember it" the way I remember hundreds of rock songs.

and then it was time for Counting Crows:

"Somewhere Under Wonderland", 2014

Although released 5 years ago, I never gave this album much of an in-depth/repeated listen - other Crows albums (and live recordings) were higher on my listening-list. It turns out, that of the 7 live "albums" I have, 4 came after this album's release, and last year's 3 shows that I saw featured (strongly) 5-of-the-9 songs on "Somewhere Under Wonderland". So it was a pleasure hearing this this morning.

I then listened to their "2001/10/19 Wayne, NJ" concert

Hey - in the middle of "Rain King" Adam includes "Thunder Road" (of course, for the New Jersey fans!)

Then hit-the-road music-time:

John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow, 1985


The Doors - The Soft Parade, 1969


Steve Miller Band - Number 5, 1970


Rod Stewart - Tonight I'm Yours, 1981

(Am I the only one listening to this? Do you think ANYONE/ANYWHERE is listening to this album right now?)

Traffic - Last Exit, 1969


Yes - Yesterdays, 1975 their first compilation album

this has their full-length of Simon & Garfunkel's "America".

lyrics - "America"

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all come to look for America
All come to look for America
All come to look for America

Donna Summer - Donna Summer, 1982

As opposed to her disco history (which is great), this is a much more rock-tinged album. I LOVE "State of Independence", and the 2nd song on side 2 is Bruce Springsteen's "Protection" - which, by the way, has NEVER been released as a recording by Bruce!

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac, 1975 self-titled album (also known as "the white album")

I remember arriving at William (Bill) Week's ski condo at Stratton(?) in December 1975, in the afternoon. Too late to go skiing, I put this album on and heard it for the first time, and I remember thinking "This is a really good album." In 1986, it was certified 7x platinum by the RIAA representing shipments of seven million units in the United States.

Because I was following the red truck, I was able to listen to "Pattern Recognition", cd 8:


James Taylor - James Taylor, 1968 self-titled debut album


The Police - Message in a Box - cd 3, 1993 4-cd box set

cd 3 has all of "Ghost in the Machine", plus a bunch of other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment