Wednesday, September 16, 2026

2026 Road Trip - Day 35

Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2026 - Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut,and Massachusetts. The Last Day - after 7 hours, 354 miles (and 3 Post Offices), I'm HOME at 3:30 PM:

It was highways all the way home. I find that when I do these Road Trips, by the end, I just want to get home. The Days Inn in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania is a very easy place to get home from. My only problem was when I saw a sign saying "left lane closed ahead", and 100 yards later, a sign saying "right lane closed ahead". I don't know where you drive, but that doesn't leave me many options.

Turns out both signs were wrong.

Very nice going over the Susquehanna River:

Nice seeing the Delaware River as I crossed into New York State:

Of course there is some traffic, somewhere:

I entered Connecticut at noon:

Prettiest spot on I-84, near Tolland, Connecticut:

I entered Massachusetts at 1:30

I made a rest stop on the Mass Pike. When I got back to the car, I WAS SHOCKED BY WHAT I SAW:

I always like seeing the meadow/boundary between Beverly and Manchester:

After 354 miles, I arrived HOME at 3:30 PM:

Thank you God for this wonderful PENNSYLVANIA-NEW YORK-CONNECTICUT-MASSACHUSETTS Adventure Day!

A quick recap - I cover 12,208 miles (originally estimated 10,824) and saw 631 active Post Offices (plus 10 dead ones). My route matched my plan, and it was a GREAT Adventure (Thank You God) - And THANK YOU for coming along for The Ride (I felt your company):

It is fun seeing the Post Offices on their own map:

Lessons Learned:

- It is WONDERFUL having Wendy in on (at least some part of) the journey. There is a lot of BEAUTY out there, and it is FUN to share it.

- once again, be mindful not to bite-off-more-than-I-can-chew. Don't drive-in-the-dark (just not fun), don't go off-trail in my hikes (duh). And I actually think my Backpacking-and-Camping days are behind me - I espically do not want to deal with "a bear canister" ever again [Don't worry - I still like day-hikes]. I plan on keeping my sleeping bag and tent because I want to keep checking out the KOA's across America, as well as Hipcamp.

It is trite, but The More I Travel, The More I Appreciate Where I Live. Late Summer/Early Fall is a beautiful time to be in New England, and I'm not planning on leaving again during that time of the year. Leaving later (November/December or even a "winter" Road Trip will allow me (us?) to see family-and-friends in Virginia/St. Louis/Texas/New Mexico/Arizona/ and even Southern California. We'll see.

Music for today (and thank you for induldging me, allowing me to listen to stuff I either have never heard, or have not heard in a long time):

staying in the 2nd album category:

In the Hotel Room:

various - Narada Sampler #2, 1986 compilation album, last heard in a blog never. Very nice "New Age" music:

Time to hit The Road:

The Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South, 1970 2nd album, last heard in a blog 9/12/2025 - Sounds Great:

Dire Straits - Communiqué, 1979 2nd album, last heard 8/19/2019 - also Sounds Great:

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969 2nd album, last heard 6/13/2024 - still Sounds Great:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love, 1967 2nd album, last heard in a blog 9/19/2024 - wonderful stuff:

Jeff Beck - Beck-Ola, 1969 2nd album, last heard in a blog never - hit-and-miss, certainly not as good as "Truth":

Counting Crows - Recovering The Satellites, 1996 2nd album, last heard in a blog 9/06/2025 - I love The Crows [no concert this year - I think they are touring Australia], and this album is Great:

James Taylor - Sweet Baby James, 1970 2nd album, last heard in a blog 2/25/2025 - lyrics: "Country Road":

Take to the highway
Won't you lend me your name?
Your way and my way
They seem to be one and the same


Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's, 1967 2nd album (with Grace Slick), last heard in a blog 9/22/2023 - Sounds Great:

Loggins & Messina - Loggins & Messina, 1972 2nd album, last heard in a blog never - also Sounds Great. "Angry Eyes" got a lot of airplay on WMMR in Philadelphia:

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment