Sunday, Sept. 13, 2026 - southeast Iowa and Illinois = A Longish Day. 247 miles (and 13 Post Offices), at 9 PM I checked-in at the Days Inn in Charleston, IL:
The 13 Post Offices cover from Albany to Boston:
As I said yesterday, Paul Simon wrote "They've all come to look for America" - well, given the DOZEN people who stoped to see if I was ok, and the 1/2 dozen the next morning (a guy kept trying to give me water bottles), I found America, and it has a big heart.
I spent the night in the passenger seat, in my down parka. The tow-truck got to me at 11:20 AM, and I was able to ride with him down to the Walmart Car Care Center in Keokuk. At least dawn was pretty:
Gabby was able to get the tire-size, but they didn't have any in stock (bad news). But GOOD NEWS, there are 5 at the Walmart 33 miles down the road in Quincy, Illinois (which is right on my way!):
After 1/2 an hour, the mechanic in Keokuk was able to get the bolt-lock nut OFF MY WHEEL, and put on the spare!!! And they did not charge me anything!!! (I figured it was ok because I was buying a tire down at the next Walmart, so "they" were going to get my money anyway). My original hotel for tonight was the Days Inn in Florence, Kentucky (just south across the river from Cincinnati, Ohio) - 439 miles/6 and 1/2 hours straight of Interstate driving. That is too far for me. While at the Walmart in Quincy, Illinois, I cancelled that reservation, and made a new one at the Days Inn in Charleston, Illinois (203 miles, 3 1nd 1/2 hours on "Blue Highways"):
I left the 2nd Walmart at 4 PM. I don't have a picture of the Wonderful Walmart in Quincy, Illinois, but here is one of their Post OffIce:
Some of these roads Google Maps wants me on are pretty rural:
Nice Wall-Art in Mount Sterling, Illinois:
Street Scene in Meredosia, Illinois:
And there are always COOL ATMOSPHERIC EFFECTS:
After 247 miles, I checked into the Days Inn in Charleston, Illinois at 9 PM:
Thank you God for this wonderful IOWA-ILLINOIS Adventure Day!
Music for today:
The Airborne Toxic Event - Dope Machines, 2015 4th album, last heard in a blog never. twice, because I want to get to know this band:
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love, 1987 album, last heard in a blog 8/29/2025. Sounds really good - really really good:
Joe Jackson - Volume 4, 2003 album, last heard in a blog 8/29/2017 - I like Joe Jackson a lot:
Joe Jackson - Volume 4 (Bonus Disc) [Live}, 2003 album, last heard in a blog 8/29/2017. The Bonus Disc has 6 songs - live material from the 2002 UK tour:
Joe Jackson - Night and Day, 1982 album, last heard in a blog 9/25/2023 - Wonderful:
Mumford & Sons - The Road To Red Rocks [Live], 2012 live album, last heard in a blog 6/13/2017. Good collection, Great Energy:
Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/






















No comments:
Post a Comment