Saturday, Sept. 12, 2026 - Nebraska and Iowa = Another Long Day. 12 hours, 502 miles (and 33 Post Offices). Wait until you see where I spent the night:
The 33 Post Offices cover from Rochester to Litchfield, Connecticut:
Some of the roads I travel down are not very good:
But they lead to the very pretty Elkhorn River:
DON'T WORRY - I did not have to go down THIS ROAD (but I thought about it):
Nice Wall-Art in Plainview, Nebraska:
This is what Nebraska looks like:
Of course I had to visit Dixon, Nebraska 68732:
I continued east, entering Iowa just before 2 PM:
Let's see - Iowa has Wall-Art, Post Offices, Libraries, Cornfields, and Railroad Crossings:
I had a nice chat with Wendy at 8 PM my time (9 PM for her). 30 minutes later I was still an hour away from my Super 8 in Keokuk, Iowa. That is when I made a wide left turn in the dark to go from Route 1 to continue on Route 16, and that is when I HIT THE CURB with my left-front tire! I drove a couple of hundred yards, but it wasn't getting me anywhere tonight, so I turned around and drove back to the intersection, where there were overhead lights (it was a lot darker in real life):
I tried to change my tire, but my Subaru wheel-unlock tool was broken, so I called AAA. They could not do anything for me tonight, but a tow-truck will be with me tomorrow morning.
Paul Simon wrote "They've all come to look for America" - well, given the DOZEN people who stoped to see if I was ok, and the 1/2 dozen the next morning (a guy kept trying to give me water bottles), I found America, and it has a big heart.
I spent the night in the passenger seat.
I can still say "Thank you God for this wonderful NEBRASKA-IOWA Adventure Day!"
Music for today:
In the Hotel Room:
Beach House - Beach House, 2006 debut album, last heard in a blog never. "Dream pop, indie pop", listened many times:
Time to hit The Road:
various - The '80s: The Box Set Series (4 cds), 2015 compilation album, last heard in a blog never. WOW - 45 songs, but only needs a little thinning:
The Monkees - The Monkees, 1966 debut album, last heard in a blog never - I owned this album, and I still like it. Makes me want to check out the TV show:
The Human League - The Very Best of, 2003 compilation album, last heard never - Some excellent pop hits, and the rest is actually very enjoyable stuff (a little touch of Talking Heads, at least to my ears):
Trinity North Shore - Saturday afternoon church service - I was able to be On-Line for just about the whole Service!
The Go-Go's - Beauty and The Beat, 1981 debut album, last heard in a blog never - Sounds Good, and A Lot of Fun (was #1 for 6 weeks in 1981):
The Electric Flag - A Long Time Comin' (2 songs), 1968 debut album, last heard in a blog never. The 2 songs I (really) like are "Texas" and "Going Down Slow":
The Dave Clark Five - Greatest Hits, 1966 greatest hits album, last heard in a blog never. 10 GREAT SONGS!
The Airborne Toxic Event - Such Hot Blood, 2013 3rd album, last heard in a blog never. twice, because I want to get to know this band:
Julie London - Ultra Lounge: Wild, Cool & Swingin' – The Artist Collection Vol. 5, 1999 compilation album, last heard in a blog never. Very Cool and Sultry:
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, 1998 album, last heard in a blog 9/07/2023. I saw her open for Neil Young once-upon-a-time - good stuff. Funny, given how my "car wheels" worked on a gravel road:
Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/





























No comments:
Post a Comment